Sign in to follow this  

2004 TC 450 power delivery?

I am looking @ purchasing a low hour TC450 for trail use - I like the feel of an mx suspension. My last 4 stroke was a Yamaha WR250f (YZ cam's & exhaust) - did everything just about ok... just ok. So I have never ridden a 450 4 stroke so my buddy lets me take his CRF450R around the block. Wow it will do burn outs on the asphalt. Too much power, in my opinion, for my trail riding. So how friendly is the TC 450? Thank you.

I am looking @ purchasing a low hour TC450 for trail use - I like the feel of an mx suspension. My last 4 stroke was a Yamaha WR250f (YZ cam's & exhaust) - did everything just about ok... just ok. So I have never ridden a 450 4 stroke so my buddy lets me take his CRF450R around the block. Wow it will do burn outs on the asphalt. Too much power, in my opinion, for my trail riding. So how friendly is the TC 450? Thank you.

I may not be the best one to answer your question since I've never ridden a bike set up for MX and my experience is limited to maybe half a tank on a TTR230 and and my '04 TE450 which is my first bike.

As I understand, both the TE and TC have the same engine with the main differences being the suspension and the TE has wider gear ratios.

To answer your question, I wouldn't go as far to call the power delivery "friendly", because it's got all you want and will bite hard if not careful. But I would say its very manageable and not hard to keep under control even on tight trails.

Hope this helps and you get the bike. You won't be sorry.

I have an 04 TC450 I love the bike. I bought it new and row it exclusively in the So Cal desert/baja regions. It has done very well as an open desert bike. But the power delivery is NOT friendly. It delivers like a wound up 2 stroke.

The TC has a5 speed gear box and it is geared really close and low (top speed is probably around 70 or 75 wound out).

I had the te version.  It's too heavy for tight trails.  Close to 280 wet.  Great for more open riding.  Get rid of the crappy mikuni carb for a keihin and it will run awesome.  Power is manageable and not abrupt at all.  It is still a 450 and is capable of serious speed.  Excellent reliability.  Great rear shock and the 45mm zokes can be made to work well.

Edited by kneehurts

what year? I have an 09 te 450 I love the motor,like my buddies 510 even better!!I have swaped some forks and swingarm off an 12 tc310 much better.imo the 09 10 have the best motors.have no experience of anything older.the 10 has a shorter swingarm makes a huge difference in the tight stuff.is a heavy bike bike I like it do hare scrambles and duel sports

2004 TC450 as is the case with every bike, its all about personal set up.

I rode and raced a 2004 TC450, never in MX always XC/Enduro/HS. Had a flywheel weight from Taskys Metric cycle and a Hall's Husky carb mod that made the thing run good. Truth is the Mikuni carb of 04 never was great and it still had some stall issues always at the worst possible moments during races.....I also kept the estart and added a kick starter as well. It was overall a good bike, not great, not fantastic, but a good solid bike.

Remember 2003 the first modern Husky dual cammer (TE450 maybe it was a 400cc model) won the world enduro championship with Anders Eriksson, thats the basis for this bike.