Sign in to follow this  

96 yz250 runs then violently seizes and dies

Okay, I traded my fourtrax for this yz a few days ago and it's really a clean bike for it's age. Bark busters, full pro circuit pipe, rebuilt top end great compression and it shifts through all the gears smooth. Any way, I think what happened was the last owner laid it down with the kick start sticking out, the top of the clutch cover had a nice crack in it next to the kick start lever, and when I pulled the cover the kick start gear was all gnarled up. So was the spot where the kick start sits in inside the case. Any way, new clutch cover, new kick start gear, now it kicks over with the kick start but it feels really awful. The only way I could start it was pop starting it, and when I did that it came to life but then it will violently seize up lock up the rear wheel and stop running, then kick over fine after that. I'm going to try pulling the cover again and removing the kick start assembly entirely, then see if i can pop start it. I think what is happening is the kick start gear is not disengaging and while the bike is trying to run it will catch the gear and turn off the bike. I will take pics so you all can see the kind of damage done to the cover and case side where the kick start but if the kick start shaft is not lined up properly will that keep it from disengaging fully?

When you put it back together, you might have messed up the assembly, or the seating is to badly damaged like you said.