Sign in to follow this  

Kx250 not shifting right

My bike was shifting fine the last time I rode it, I tried taking it out today and it wasn't shifting, i can only get neutral and first gear, I got it into the higher gears once. The tranny fluid was a little low but I filled it up before I went on a test run, I used Bel-Ray Gearsaver 75w. Anyone know why it's doing this?

First step would be to pull the side cover and inspect the external shift mechanism parts, you have a manual?

No I do not have a Manual, I just bought the bike not too long ago I need to invest in one!

If it is bent would I have to split the case?

Only time you will need to split the cases if if you have a bent shift fork or something seriously wrong in your transmittion.

If your shifter isn't spinning on the shaft and it's not hitting the engine when you pull the lever up, I bet you have a loose shift drum cam bolt or something similar.

Have you had a crash recently before it sopped shifting?

Edited by Bazuka Joe

Only time you will need to split the cases if if you have a bent shift fork or something seriously wrong in your transmittion.

If your shifter isn't spinning on the shaft and it's not hitting the engine when you pull the lever up, I bet you have a loose shift drum cam bolt or something similar.

Have you had a crash recently before it sopped shifting?

No Iv only rode the bike a couple of times Iv haven't laid it down at all,one day I was gonna load my bike up to go riding and I was shifting through the gears and I noticed it wouldn't go into 2nd or higher. I'll check the shifter first

Let me know how it goes, I suspect your shifter is no stripped but that would be the first thing to check.

If it's fine then your going to have to open up the side cover and see what's going on