Sign in to follow this  

Proximal Biceps tear w/ popeye presentation

Hello,

Two days ago ruptured the proximal biceps tendon while underhand tossing a medicine ball. When to see an Ortho yesterday and he said he wouldn't perform surgery (never has) on this injury based on my age...I'm 52. I am very active and use my arms a lot in my job. I am getting a second opinion on Monday. I have seen conflicting reports on the internet that the recovery from surgery is long and painful for most. Seems like most doc's opinions are to leave the tendon as is and deal with some loss of strength.

Has anyone gotten, or not gotten this surgery performed and what was your outcome?

Thanks in advance for your experience,

Randy

The repair is so easy in the early period. I have fixed many of these. It won't get easier as time passes and then you will have to learn to live with it. The recovery is easy. I allow patients to move their arm, but limit weight to a can of coke for six weeks. The results are almost, not quite normal strength. The question is, is the rotator cuff torn also?

Edited by DrMark

Good morning Doc,

Thank you for your quick reply. At this point, I haven't had an MRI, so any rotator cuff mm damage is suspect. I feel like subscapularis or infraspinatus may have some. Prior to biceps injury, I have had quite a lot of pain in the anterior shoulder for a least two years, which I believed was tendonous in nature. I have also had pain across the back of shoulder occasionally. Since Sunday, when I ruptured the biceps tendon, my shoulder pain has almost gone to zero with full range of motion.

My question at this point, since it appears there is no major strength loss with exception of supination, would it be worth having tenodesis procedure if I'm not overly concerned w the popeye appearance? Your thoughts?

Thanks again,

Randy

A LHB rupture usually occurs in the patient with a likely RC tear. You say you have had two years of trouble with the shoulder. That's a red flag to me.

I fish out the LHB tendon when a guy has an issue with strength or appearance. If it doesn't bother the guy, I don't bother it.