How to replace water impeller/shift shaft stopper

Hey guys, finally got ahold of the updated parts from Yamaha (2014 yz250f) and looking to replace these since Yamaha wont do it under warranty unless there is a problem. Any help or guides on how to do this would help. I got the jist of the shift stop lever but the impeller could use some advice, can I remove just the water pump cover/housing or do I need to take the whole side case off to get the impeller off? Thanks in advance.

What numbers of the part ?

If you can make the movie because I must also change it.

Edited by wavan

I was told the only updated part so far is the shift stopper. Do you have a part number for the updated waterpump shaft part number?

I was told the only updated part so far is the shift stopper. Do you have a part number for the updated waterpump shaft part number?

I dont have the part number but the both parts has been updated, I got both parts through Thousand Oaks, CA, Gary at parts explained how both were updated not sure how they got the parts already assuming since they have a race team with yamaha, my dealer here dosent even see the new part for the shift stopper and neither did yamaha when i called. I will let you know when I get it apart the differences. I havent had any problems with my bike, just cheap insurance.

Edited by usafwx

I have had no issues either but my new shift stopper goes in Friday! Jason Raines told me via FB that the only water pump shaft

Failures he has heard of were on mod bikes.

I have had no issues either but my new shift stopper goes in Friday! Jason Raines told me via FB that the only water pump shaft

Failures he has heard of were on mod bikes.

Please let us know what it looks like. Thats what I figured, I dont power shift and the engine isnt under extreme heat like mod/pro guys but Gary told me it was updated when I was ordering the other part so I told him to include it, better safe than sorry I guess. Just saw another picture of a guy's with 20 hours on it and the bearings all gone. Makes me nervous what I'll fine on mine with less than 12.

Definitely replace your shift stop lever if you have a 14' 250 or 450.  Here is mine out of my 450 at 30 hours! Don't listen to those who say it is not a 450 problem. It is the same defective part in the 450's. 

20160611_205123.jpg
Edited by JDrider
  • Like 1

I replaced both on my 2014 250F. There wasn't any damage to mine....yet. I did mine at 40 hours when I replaced my piston and rings. You do have to remove the transmission cover on the right side but its not hard to change out the pump shaft. If the bike doesn't have a lot of hours on it you shouldn't need to replace any of the seals just the shaft.

Heres a YouTube video showing how its done. The 450 is exactly the same as the 250 for this.

Edited by Charlie755

Strange that the 14's have the bearings. My 09 YZ250F has the solid bushings.

I've been trying to figure out why it's so hard to find neutral on my bike and thought it might be the bearings on the shift shaft but it must be something else because I've got the solid type.

Anyway here's a pic

image.jpeg

Strange that the 14's have the bearings. My 09 YZ250F has the solid bushings.

I've been trying to figure out why it's so hard to find neutral on my bike and thought it might be the bearings on the shift shaft but it must be something else because I've got the solid type.

Anyway here's a pic

Completely different bike.