Sign in to follow this  

KTM 530 reccomendations

My 13 year old son started racing cross country this year in the NECXC series. Instead of just sitting on the sidelines, Ive considered running the senior class on my dual sport KTM 530 EXC. It runs great but I've had some real issues getting the thing started when its choked down in slow technical spots on trails. The battery doesn't seem to turn the engine over fast enough even though I replaced it with a higher CCA battery. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? As far as some info on the bike, the stock exhaust has been opened up, JD jet kit, Engine Ice, Installed KTM radiator fan.

Also if anyone has any other recommendations for this type of riding/racing, I would appreciate it. Thanks

My 13 year old son started racing cross country this year in the NECXC series. Instead of just sitting on the sidelines, Ive considered running the senior class on my dual sport KTM 530 EXC. It runs great but I've had some real issues getting the thing started when its choked down in slow technical spots on trails. The battery doesn't seem to turn the engine over fast enough even though I replaced it with a higher CCA battery. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? As far as some info on the bike, the stock exhaust has been opened up, JD jet kit, Engine Ice, Installed KTM radiator fan.

Also if anyone has any other recommendations for this type of riding/racing, I would appreciate it. Thanks

First of all, you should check out the amp draw of your starter- it may be pulling too much current.

Second, jetting properly and good compression should have that motor starting easily.

Third, check out a flywheel weight or better yet a Rekluse clutch.

If you have a fan you need to ugrade the stater, also you need to make sure you have a good cam, Mine had a backward decompression cam which was common in 08 and 09 xc4 motors. 

I would try:

turning your idle up

call James at JD and tell him about your bike being hard starting and what jetting he recommends

check your battery ground connections at the frame and at the battery 

check your charging system to make sure its charging your battery

install a heavier flywheel

replace your stock muffler with an aftermarket muffler/spark arrester that free flowing

If you have a fan you need to ugrade the stater, also you need to make sure you have a good cam, Mine had a backward decompression cam which was common in 08 and 09 xc4 motors. 

^ This, the fan will run full time on the big KTM's and drain the battery quickly.  There are a couple options for upgraded stator's.  

Clean all the battery and starter connections real well and rub them with a bit of dielectric grease. Battery grounds through the subframe so you need to be sure the subframe to frame has good clean connections also. Engines Only in San Jose makes a high quality jumper cable that runs from the battery ground directly to a starter bolt to help with the grounding problem.

Check that you don't have a couple of tight valves.

If you have not added an ignition switch (unplug the wire under the tank) to soften the low RPM hit you may want to think about that. It will help in keeping the 530 from beating the crap out of him in those long races.

Edited by 4strokeridertt

I just checked the valves and they are within spec. I was convinced that was the problem since i had the same issue with my sons 150r but not this time. It has an ignition switch.