Sign in to follow this  

fork seals 2014 kx250f

Hi, can anyone please help me with a simple instruction on how to change fork seals on my 2014 kx250f ? I h ave read the manual, but there seems to be an awful lot of special tools for doing this job.

Are they leaking? If so I'm betting they got dirt in them. Invest in a seal doctor. It fixes most leaky seals in secs. I bought a seal doctor myself and it works like a charm.

• Like 1

Totally agree with the Seal Doctor.  Thought it was a ridiculous amount of money for plastic, and I made my own anyway, but I bought one and the value is definitely there.  $25 for lots of time saved = good investment.  It works.

As for special tools, yes.  You need a spring compressor as well as the usual fork cap wrench.  I followed this guys advice and did what he did:  http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/941398-sff-spring-change-homemade-spring-compressor/?hl=%2Bspring

Worked great.  Also, don't try to remove the rebound damper mechanism without the other tool.  You won't need to in order to change the seals, or ever, really, unless you try to remove it, which you shouldn't.

Totally agree with the Seal Doctor. Thought it was a ridiculous amount of money for plastic, and I made my own anyway, but I bought one and the value is definitely there. $25 for lots of time saved = good investment. It works.

As for special tools, yes. You need a spring compressor as well as the usual fork cap wrench. I followed this guys advice and did what he did: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/941398-sff-spring-change-homemade-spring-compressor/?hl=%2Bspring

Worked great. Also, don't try to remove the rebound damper mechanism without the other tool. You won't need to in order to change the seals, or ever, really, unless you try to remove it, which you shouldn't.

don't need a spring compressor for 1 3's and 14's like 12's

Totally agree with the Seal Doctor.  Thought it was a ridiculous amount of money for plastic, and I made my own anyway, but I bought one and the value is definitely there.  $25 for lots of time saved = good investment.  It works.

As for special tools, yes.  You need a spring compressor as well as the usual fork cap wrench.  I followed this guys advice and did what he did:  http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/941398-sff-spring-change-homemade-spring-compressor/?hl=%2Bspring

Worked great.  Also, don't try to remove the rebound damper mechanism without the other tool.  You won't need to in order to change the seals, or ever, really, unless you try to remove it, which you shouldn't.

I have tried with a seal doctor, worked for a while but now i dont have any more oil in the forks.

Cant see any harm in removing the rebound damper mechanism ? do you mean the spring preload adjuster on top of the fork ? cause I can see that one being a problem since it needs a tool which I dont have, but I dont really need to unfasten this just to change seals ?

2013-Kawasaki-KX250F-Front-Shock-Adjustm

The one on the right side is the spring preload adjuster

Edited by Sta1n1

I have tried with a seal doctor, worked for a while but now i dont have any more oil in the forks.

Cant see any harm in removing the rebound damper mechanism ? do you mean the spring preload adjuster on top of the fork ? cause I can see that one being a problem since it needs a tool which I dont have, but I dont really need to unfasten this just to change seals ?

seals are very easy on these bikes. Helps to have a few tool for suspension but can make it work without if you take your time and use a few other techniques. Don't use anything but OEM seals but I heard Pro X are good, just haven't tried them

Do I need to loosen the whole preload adjuster assembly? I have some skf seals, i believe they are good quality

No, the rebound damper mechanism is on the bottom of the left fork.  With some bikes, you can just remove it with the proper socket.  With the SFF you need a special hex tool to hold the shaft from the inside, because the shaft acts like a nut.  There is no need to remove this in order to replace the seals.  Hope that clarifies.

No, the rebound damper mechanism is on the bottom of the left fork. With some bikes, you can just remove it with the proper socket. With the SFF you need a special hex tool to hold the shaft from the inside, because the shaft acts like a nut. There is no need to remove this in order to replace the seals. Hope that clarifies.

you do not need special tools and yes it must be removed as it attaches directly to the piston rod. [this is the special tool, made by RT it's cheap attachment=154755:ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401932778.995238.jpg]

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401932778.995238.jpg

you do not need special tools and yes it must be removed as it attaches directly to the piston rod. [this is the special tool, made by RT it's cheap attachment=154755:ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401932778.995238.jpg]

I suppose it depends on what your definition of rebound damper is.  :lol:

I suppose it depends on what your definition of rebound damper is. :lol:

I'm taking it as the fork adjuster which houses the rebound screw. A 21mm socket fits on it

I'm taking it as the fork adjuster which houses the rebound screw. A 21mm socket fits on it

Yup, and you don't need to take it off, and you can't take it off without a special tool.  ;)

Yup, and you don't need to take it off, and you can't take it off without a special tool. ;)

yes you do! It attaches to the piston rid directly. How do you separate the stansion from the fork tube? Cartridge holding tool is the most specialized for removing it and even that can be made. To change outer fluid no you don't remove it but seals, bushings inner chamber oil you remove it. I've rebuilt 13 forks routinely so I'd truly know. My 17 year old son even knows this as he rebuilds his own race bikesImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401937950.584400.jpg

yes you do! It attaches to the piston rid directly. How do you separate the stansion from the fork tube? Cartridge holding tool is the most specialized for removing it and even that can be made. To change outer fluid no you don't remove it but seals, bushings inner chamber oil you remove it. I've rebuilt 13 forks routinely so I'd truly know. My 17 year old son even knows this as he rebuilds his own race bikesattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401937950.584400.jpg

You are incredibly right and I am truly an ass.  My apologies.  I believe I was remembering the right fork fiasco, but that does not excuse my douchebaggery.  Humble pie eaten, and my 16 year old son does the same, which is pretty freaking cool for both sons.  Thanks for the correction!   :cheers:

• Like 1

You are incredibly right and I am truly an ass. My apologies. I believe I was remembering the right fork fiasco, but that does not excuse my douchebaggery. Humble pie eaten, and my 16 year old son does the same, which is pretty freaking cool for both sons. Thanks for the correction! :cheers:

lol!!!!!! No need to apologize at all. That's awesome your son works on his bike. I feel he's a better rider from learning how stuff works. He's very in tune with his suspension. I'm teaching him now about splitting cases and found crank replacement
  • Like 1

seals are very easy on these bikes. Helps to have a few tool for suspension but can make it work without if you take your time and use a few other techniques. Don't use anything but OEM seals but I heard Pro X are good, just haven't tried them

We have been using honda oem seals for years. There half the price and come as a kit. Have not done a 13' or 14' yet so you would have to look up which one are the 48mm. We use 09' on our 12'

• Like 1