Sign in to follow this  

Dirtbike problem , very frustrating! Please please help

Hi, my brother has a 2001 Yamaha ttr125, great great shape. The bike sat for 5 or 6 years in a garage. And the carb keeps clogging. We clean it properly and I know we do beacuse it runs absoluty perfect, idles great and starts first kick every time, how ever, let it sit for a week or less, and the carb clogs and will not start, take it out and clean it again and it runs perfect. What the heck is clogging the carb?? It's very frustrating since I toke it so apart at least 6 or 7 times in a 5 month span. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you as always!

Hi, my brother has a 2001 Yamaha ttr125, great great shape. The bike sat for 5 or 6 years in a garage. And the carb keeps clogging. We clean it properly and I know we do beacuse it runs absoluty perfect, idles great and starts first kick every time, how ever, let it sit for a week or less, and the carb clogs and will not start, take it out and clean it again and it runs perfect. What the heck is clogging the carb?? It's very frustrating since I toke it so apart at least 6 or 7 times in a 5 month span. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you as always!

Just buy some new jets and needle and put in the same numbers....... see if that clears it up.  Or get a carb rebuild kit.

Edited by Honda_Power

Clean the airbox and the boot that goes to the carb from the air box. If it sat that long two things most likely happened, the air filter dried out and rotted and rodents got in there. The left over junk will keep clogging the carb if it isn't thoroughly cleaned out. Also check for cracks in the rubber boot and the air box.

Unscrew the petcock valve from the tank, cut the rockstopper screen off and run an inline filter from that to the carb. Clean out the tank while you're in there.

I guarandamtee you that the tank is cruddy.

• Like 1

Unscrew the petcock valve from the tank, cut the rockstopper screen off and run an inline filter from that to the carb. Clean out the tank while you're in there.

I guarandamtee you that the tank is cruddy.

Beat me to it.

• Like 1