Sign in to follow this  

What should be my next bike? 125 or 250?

I am a girl and I have been riding since I was 7 but stopped back when I was 15 and started back in feb. I am currently 17 but will be 18 next week. I am only 5'3 and 110 pounds. I bought a kx100 back in feb so I could get back used to riding and racing and because of my height and weight it is fast for me but I am gonna soon move up and can't decide if I should get a 125 or 250? I am not worried abt power but just so much my height and weight vs how big the bike will be for me bc I can't touch flat foot on my kx100.  :(

You will probley want a 125 just cus of the wieght if a 250 .. But then again if u say u can handle the power get a lowering link and u can shave ur seat like I did in the pic. I did mine for fmx purposes tho.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401923617.225065.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401923802.420790.jpg

250f if you want to become a c rider sometimes soon, 125 if your looking to get fast over the course of a few years. Either way throw a lowering link on it, see about getting the subframe cut, and lower your triple clamps.

If I was to lower it then wudnt that take away from the suspension? 

Yes it would.  If you really want to go all out take it to a suspension shop and have them do the lowering for you.  It would still decrease suspension travel but they can make it work great with the reduced travel. 

250f if you want to become a c rider sometimes soon, 125 if your looking to get fast over the course of a few years. Either way throw a lowering link on it, see about getting the subframe cut, and lower your triple clamps.

So you need a 250f to ride in the c class? 

• Like 1

So you need a 250f to ride in the c class?

No, I clearly never said that. I hate the way people purposefully misinterpret things on this forum just to dispute a point.

Obviously you don't need a 250f to ride in the c class... Is that even a question?

However 250f are much easier to ride, and require a lot less aggression and throttle/clutch work to get around the track at a decent speed.

I think most of us know that the learning curve on a 125 is much steeper, therefore it would take longer to become competetive on one as a beginner vs a 250f.

No, I clearly never said that. I hate the way people purposefully misinterpret things on this forum just to dispute a point.

Obviously you don't need a 250f to ride in the c class... Is that even a question?

However 250f are much easier to ride, and require a lot less aggression and throttle/clutch work to get around the track at a decent speed.

I think most of us know that the learning curve on a 125 is much steeper, therefore it would take longer to become competetive on one as a beginner vs a 250f.

IMO jumping from a supermini to a 250f is a bad choice.  Those skills that a 125 will teach you are meant to be learned, not just skipped over for the sake of c class race results. 

• Like 1

IMO jumping from a supermini to a 250f is a bad choice. Those skills that a 125 will teach you are meant to be learned, not just skipped over for the sake of c class race results.

I actually totally agree with you, and I have thought this way for a while. However I feel this case is an exception.

If your a supermini racer, and have a good amount of experience I think a 125 is a very appropriate choice especially if your fast on the 112. If your not that experienced at all, it's a different story. I'm really not sure of the best choice. A 250f is probably too big, but a 125 will be frustrating for a while.

I didn't mean c class results, I just meant a decent amount of progress. A 125 will frustrate the hell out of a beginner on a track until it starts to click and you get it.

• Like 1

I actually totally agree with you, and I have thought this way for a while. However I feel this case is an exception.

If your a supermini racer, and have a good amount of experience I think a 125 is a very appropriate choice especially if your fast on the 112. If your not that experienced at all, it's a different story. I'm really not sure of the best choice. A 250f is probably too big, but a 125 will be frustrating for a while.

I didn't mean c class results, I just meant a decent amount of progress. A 125 will frustrate the hell out of a beginner on a track until it starts to click and you get it.

If she can ride a kx100 I think she should be fine on a 125.  That's part of why I originally recommended a yz125.  They have more bottom end than most 125's which should make it a bit easier on her. 

I learned on my 99 cr125.  That bike is a complete turd until you get high in the revs, and yes, it was frustrating at first.  Watching all my friends cruise past me on their 250f and 450f's sucked.  Thing is I now beat all of them regularly at races since I learned how to carry momentum and not depend on the bikes power to get me over the jumps.  

I am just not a big fan of young people using a 250f as a beginner(ish) bike.  It teaches them bad habits right from the start.  If they are an adult and just want to safely cruise around with no real regard to improving significantly over time than a 250f is fine.  Just my opinion.

• Like 2

I think that a 125 is gonna be the best thing for me. I love 2t anyways and i have ran down many 250s and 125s on my 100 so i don't think that riding a 125 wud be a disadvantage of how fast i move up classes.

• Like 1

I think that a 125 is gonna be the best thing for me. I love 2t anyways and i have ran down many 250s and 125s on my 100 so i don't think that riding a 125 wud be a disadvantage of how fast i move up classes.

Good choice, first couple rides might piss you off but stick with it and you'll be railing. 125's are fun like no other

If you don't need new, I would try to find a mint 2007 Honda CR125R.  Wish they still made the Hondas - their seat height was almost 2" shorter than the Yamahas and KTMs (something like 37" vs 39").  I don't think your going to be able to get any lower than that even with a lowering link on the Yamahas and KTMs (and I believe lowering links have mixed reviews - you might not like how it affects the suspension).

If you don't need new, I would try to find a mint 2007 Honda CR125R.  Wish they still made the Hondas - their seat height was almost 2" shorter than the Yamahas and KTMs (something like 37" vs 39").  I don't think your going to be able to get any lower than that even with a lowering link on the Yamahas and KTMs (and I believe lowering links have mixed reviews - you might not like how it affects the suspension).

Yea i was gonna try to find a 07 or 06 cr or kx that is good condition and then i can fix it up and make it look real good. My bf said that even if we was to put a lowering link on it that even if it did take away from suspension he doesn't think that it wud make much difference bc I'm so little but i don't know if that wud be true or not. 

I was too late and missed out on this one: http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/4447889241.html.  That 2007 CR125R looked mint and was only $2K.

Good deals are out there, though, if you are willing to search and travel a little bit.  Seems like I spot deals on bikes that are in the middle of nowhere, where most people aren't willing to drive to.