Sign in to follow this  

Stumped

I was riding home from work on my 08 DRZ400SM. Bike was running fine, it let of the gas in the twisties go to give gas and Putt, Putt, Putt, Backfire, Putt, Putt. Let of the gas and it idles and starts fine. Go to give it gas and Putt, Putt, Backfire, Putt, well you get it. Have my son come get me with my pickup, bring it home and it starts and idles fine. I hot a brief patch of rain, nothing heavy before the symptoms started and I was thinking electrical. I thought the timing chain may have jumped, but upon removing the cover there is no gaps where a valve would have been bent or such and everything appears ok at a glance. I'll check the tolerances tomorrow when I have more daylight. I put a new plug in since that should have been replaced a while ago. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone and if so what should I pay special,attention too. I intend on cleaning the carb also, since I am getting no power acceleration when I twist the throttle. I also had the 434BB AND STAGE 2 HOT CAMS installed about 8k ago. Prior to this No Problems with the 440

Did you run the tank empty? I ran out of fuel and sucked garbage into the carb, did similar things, spit, sputtered, backfired, popped, you name it. I'm very sure that the bike will not even idle if the timing is off, it will pop and backfire when you try to start it that's about it.

Before you take anything apart, try draining the float bowl with the screw at the bottom. You might have some water in the carb that will cause the problem you described. A bead of water will shut off flow thru the main jet. If that doesn't help, I'd pull the bowl and look at the main jet next.

does this look/sound comparible to your problems..

my video from last week

Yup! Except when I give more throttle I get no power and it will backfire

in video its cutting out, when MORE gas is applied..and it smooths out when id let off gas..

i put in a new battery and it fixed it..check your voltage..see if there slightly low ,like in the 12 volts range..my bad battery was in the 12's

ps i see you got a auto rekulse?

i always wondered how it takes off in 1st? no clutch at all?

Edited by 707LAKE

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. I just replaced this battery 2 months ago, but I'll check again. It takes off like a Bat out of Hell with the auto.

Edited by GreenHornet450

Checked the valve specs and all are within spec. I checked the cam & timing chain position & all is good. Put a new spark plug in, closed it up and it started & idled fine, but asme issue with increased throttle. I have the battery charging since it did seem a little sluggish, which is strange. Tomorrow I'll see how it runs with a fully charged battery (investigating it as per 707lake). Then into the carb. I pulled the float bowl plug & didn't notice any dirt. I was thinking....I have the TT FCR 39 MX....Does this have a TPS? I forget......

Personally. I have a Gut Feeling it's electrical, leaning towards the stator. I have to buy a multi meter

• Like 2

I had actually had similiar problem last summer.  Positive terminal was loose.  Seriously.  All electrical stuff went crazy and bike was acting like it was low on gas.

I just got finished using the multi-meter and the results are........BAD STATOR....When I unplugged the lead with the yellow wires the bike ran better, not perfect, plugged back in and back to where is was. ohm test on yellow wires leading to engine revealed 1.5, 2.2, 2.3 ohms, test at the headlight 11-11.1v, test at battery 13.1 or 13.2. The battery was the only consistent test.

Now time to get a New Stator.....But where?

Edited by GreenHornet450
  • Like 2

I just got finished using the multi-meter and the results are........BAD STATOR....When I unplugged the lead with the yellow wires the bike ran better, not perfect, plugged back in and back to where is was. ohm test on yellow wires leading to engine revealed 1.5, 2.2, 2.3 ohms, test at the headlight 11-11.1v, test at battery 13.1 or 13.2. The battery was the only consistent test.

Give it a minute. The word stator will become a link to an ad for one.

• Like 1

Yup just happened to my buddy but his bolts backed out and sheared off and he had to get the holes punched punched.out and retapped! He slapped in a Ricky and it runs perfectly now!!!! Edited by Decil Moto
  • Like 1

Installed the Stator yesterday. Problem solved. The hardest part was getting the wiring harness secured properly so the magneto doesn't shred it.

• Like 2