Sign in to follow this  

2007 rmz250

Just picked up my 07 rmz 250 and it's having some clutch issues but not sure what exactly it is! When the bike is at idle, it wants to pull with the clutch fully engaged! Once you rev it the clutch fully disengages and then when it goes back to idling it start pulling again! Also the bike will not switch into neutral while idling unless you rev it up a little then it will allow the bike to switch into neutral! Any ideas!?

Ceck if you clucth buskett is got grooves. On mine I changed the oil and every time I know I got to go riding I tie the clutch with a strap so the disk are always open and live like that until the day I go riding and I actually let it warm up like that. On mine it workes.

Have you run it much? My last bike did this with fresh oil in it... Had to increase rpm or shut down to get to neutram. Motorex oil doesn't seem to do it as much.

Yeah your clutch is dragging. Cable adjustment and if that doesn't work then its probably the basket. The tabs on the friction plates eventually wear notches in the basket and can hang up a little on them. Eventually the tabs on the plates will wear in more creating more space for the tabs to keep etching away at the basket and it gets worse. You can do a quick fix by replacing the plates and file the notches a little bit to help smooth it out but this is only a bandaid fix and you will wear out the tabs on the new plates quicker and the problem will come back. Ive always thought it was just less of a headache to replace the basket with a good Hinson and move on. Little pricey but they last.

Not always the problems is created from the basket. My bike was fine last year on my last ride. After couple months of not using it, this year on my first couple rides it did it. I change the oil and did what I mentioned on my first reply and keep doing it every night before I go ride. I guess the diskes got not so much of oil or are dirty from a long stop.

Edited by carmelo1970

my bike did exactly the same thing when i first bought it.
i bought new pressure plates, heavy duty springs etc, this wasnt what solved the problem however.
the clutch basket had grooves worn into the sides of the teeth and this is what was causing the 'pulling' feeling even with the clutch fully engaged.

so, all you need to do is: remove the clutch basket, file down the groves on the teeth so that they are smooth and no longer notchy.