Sign in to follow this  

TTR50 carb experts?

Just bought an 06 TTR50, well used. Went to pick it up and it was dripping a little gas out of the overflow. He said he forgot to shut off the gas and it will do that. No big deal to me. I caught him just as he was getting home, was happy to see that so I could see a cold start. He turned the key, hit the button and it started right away, idled great. A little hesitation/bog when trying to throttle, but for the price, I pulled the trigger. Two days later, I couldn't get it started. Push started and it ran like crap and wouldn't idle. Tonight, pulled the carb and cleaned (it was very clean to begin with), drained all the oil out of the airbox (it was bad, figured it was probably the main problem), installed new plug. Still wouldn't start with e-start, but ran pretty good on a push start and started much quicker. Still wouldn't idle. So,.....after dinner, I realized I had forgotten to shut the gas off. When out to the shop and it was dripping a little gas. Just for kicks, turned the key and hit the button. It started immediately and idled perfectly. Rode it around and it ran like a new bike.

Can anyone explain why it runs great once the carb is overflowing??? Air pocket???? Once it is going it doesn't overflow, by the way. Thanks for any advice.

Sounds like the float is sticking a bit. Remember to shut the gas off and before you try to start it tip the bike on its side until gas comes out the overflow. Itll probably fire right up. I do this with my bigger bikes if theyve been sitting