Sign in to follow this  

Gas in carb?

So I run vp race fuel (vpr) in my bike and on the can it says drain carb after each use. Just curious what the difference would be if I just turned the fuel off and let the bike run until it runs out of gas, or pull the plug on the bottom of the bowl. Is there any harm in letting a 4 stroke run the carb dry?

I don't think anyone really drains their carb after each riding session.  But I suppose you could do what you said and run it dry or just drain from the float bowl.

Why do you have to do that anyways?  Is it just specifically for 'race' fuel.... and why?

So I run vp race fuel (vpr) in my bike and on the can it says drain carb after each use. Just curious what the difference would be if I just turned the fuel off and let the bike run until it runs out of gas, or pull the plug on the bottom of the bowl. Is there any harm in letting a 4 stroke run the carb dry?

If you let the bike run until it shuts off the carb won't be dry. It'll shut off before that. Race gas is hard on the rubber parts which is why you want it all out of there.

Just loosen the plug or the drain screw if yours has one.

• Like 1

If you let the bike run until it shuts off the carb won't be dry. It'll shut off before that. Race gas is hard on the rubber parts which is why you want it all out of there.

Just loosen the plug or the drain screw if yours has one.

Awesome, thank you! My bike (09 yz250f) does have a drain plug... It drains it all over the engine cases though and there's no room to get anything but a rag in there to catch the fuel coming out

Awesome, thank you! My bike (09 yz250f) does have a drain plug... It drains it all over the engine cases though and there's no room to get anything but a rag in there to catch the fuel coming out

I always tip my bike over for cleaning and I was getting a dead spot on the grass. Finally figured out to tip it for a drain on the concrete first, then the grass for a wash. My point is, be tactical where you dump your gas and it won't be a big deal. It won't do anything bad to the cases BTW, residue washes off easily. 

Theres a drain screw on that one acfually...drains out that hose on the bottom. Should be a 3mm allen and youre golden.

Running it or tipping it can leave some gas in there.

• Like 1

Theres a drain screw on that one acfually...drains out that hose on the bottom. Should be a 3mm allen and youre golden.

Running it or tipping it can leave some gas in there.

There's the Allen head screw or the actual drain plug in the bottom of the float bowl. I know how to drain the carb I've done it many times before. Just wondering if there was any harm in letting it sit there and run until it ran out of most the gas