Sign in to follow this  

Something for occasional street and occasional MX

Alright so I have had a sportbike for years but I wanna do the dirt bike thing. There is an mx track nearby that isn't too crazy and I was wondering if there was a bike that would be OK for some occasional running around on the street, but would also work at the novice level at an MX track. I like to do trackdays on the sportbike but tires and trackdays are expensive and the occasional MX thing would be a lot cheaper. I would also like to try some trails and what not here and there. 

I figure if I like the MX stuff, I can buy a nice beat up MX bike later, maybe even sell whatever I start with.

So far I'm leaning towards the WR250R but I know KTM has some 4 strokes that are street legal. I'd like to keep spending to under $5000 but if there is a bike out there that is truly capable of MX stuff whilst still being manageable on the street, then maybe I could spend a little more. Ideally I'm looking for something nice and used.

Help me out guys, I know very little about the dirt world!

Alright so I have had a sportbike for years but I wanna do the dirt bike thing. There is an mx track nearby that isn't too crazy and I was wondering if there was a bike that would be OK for some occasional running around on the street, but would also work at the novice level at an MX track. I like to do trackdays on the sportbike but tires and trackdays are expensive and the occasional MX thing would be a lot cheaper. I would also like to try some trails and what not here and there. 

I figure if I like the MX stuff, I can buy a nice beat up MX bike later, maybe even sell whatever I start with.

So far I'm leaning towards the WR250R but I know KTM has some 4 strokes that are street legal. I'd like to keep spending to under $5000 but if there is a bike out there that is truly capable of MX stuff whilst still being manageable on the street, then maybe I could spend a little more. Ideally I'm looking for something nice and used.

Help me out guys, I know very little about the dirt world!

A dual sport will not cut it on a MX track in my opinion. Your only option would be to make a MX bike street legal if that option is available in your state. Said bike would not be much good for other than short runs on the street.

Mike

• Like 1

Oh boy...lol that street bike is gonna gather up dust. Go get your self a 2001-2004 250 2 stroke mx'r and head to the track. You'll forget all about the street. After you sell the street bike to buy one or all of the following; a dual sport to add to the mx'r, a new truck to haul mx'r to bigger and better tracks you will wonder what the hell just happened. Welcome aboard. Sold my last street bike 3 years ago and don't miss it one bit.

• Like 2

Oh boy...lol that street bike is gonna gather up dust. Go get your self a 2001-2004 250 2 stroke mx'r and head to the track. You'll forget all about the street. After you sell the street bike to buy one or all of the following; a dual sport to add to the mx'r, a new truck to haul mx'r to bigger and better tracks you will wonder what the hell just happened. Welcome aboard. Sold my last street bike 3 years ago and don't miss it one bit.

Agree except the part about selling my street bike. 60 MPH in first with a six speed is still fun.

Mike

What you are trying to do has been tried by thousands- and they all failed.

Offroad, onroad and MX are all about equally exclusive from one another. It kind of depends on the level you want to ride at. Mid to higher levels of competence on all of these is impossible. Could you putt around on the street, woods, and kiddie track on one single bike? Yes. You won't be able to achieve anything satisfying though. A WR would be good in the woods, OK going slower street speeds and pathetic on a track, for example.

Agreed with Flagstaff, a plated MX bike will get you the closest. Open yourself up to spending $7000+ and you may find a KTM 350EXC-F which is a lot of bike for a beginner but an amazing crossover bike.

• Like 3

The trade off for the speed is the pull. Street bike just doesn't have that hang the f on pull. Besides it's safer under a hundy.

Yeah what about the 250 exc-f or 350 exc-f? I feel a 2 stroke would just be too much maintenance and crap. 

I kinda have the same thing going on with my sportbike - It's an f4i so it's comfortable for long trips, and I have QD luggage racks, but it's also got track fairings on the front half, suspension work, etc. It actually does work for both street and track. Although it would never be a competitive bike, I can still have a lot of fun on the track with it!

I feel that MX might be something special though and I would need the suspension set up proper. It just would be nice to have a backup dual sport to go to the beach once in a blue moon or maybe camping while also do some occasional trails and to at least try MX with. I would probably dump $ into suspension right away. Could the WR with upgraded suspension at least be OK for a while? Seems to me that finding a good deal on a used MX bike wouldn't be that bad if I really liked it. I just don't wanna get a track only MX bike and then find out i'm not a huge fan or something.

Yeah what about the 250 exc-f or 350 exc-f? I feel a 2 stroke would just be too much maintenance and crap. 

I kinda have the same thing going on with my sportbike - It's an f4i so it's comfortable for long trips, and I have QD luggage racks, but it's also got track fairings on the front half, suspension work, etc. It actually does work for both street and track. Although it would never be a competitive bike, I can still have a lot of fun on the track with it!

I feel that MX might be something special though and I would need the suspension set up proper. It just would be nice to have a backup dual sport to go to the beach once in a blue moon or maybe camping while also do some occasional trails and to at least try MX with. I would probably dump $ into suspension right away. Could the WR with upgraded suspension at least be OK for a while? Seems to me that finding a good deal on a used MX bike wouldn't be that bad if I really liked it. I just don't wanna get a track only MX bike and then find out i'm not a huge fan or something.

WR-F might work if you can license it in your state. In Az., easy, horn, stoplight, mirror, I think that's it. Maybe $100. It will be good on trails, you can play MX but will not be competitive, and will be acceptable an the street for shorter distances, maybe 20 miles.

Mike

• Like 1