Sign in to follow this  

Pro and cons on tall seat vs standard?

I need to replace my 2X4 after a 400KM ride. Seems like the seat concept is the way to go but the tall version or standard? I am 6 1" and can sit flat footed. Seems like a taller seat would be more trouble in tight spots where you might need to put a foot down but maybe more easy on the ass?

I used a taller seat on my old bike (YZ426) and it made the transition from sitting to standing easier.  I rode 99% moto on that bike, not much off road so I can't comment on the putting your feet down, etc.. but I liked it on the track.  I'm 6'0. 

At 6'1", I would say a tall seat would be a win-win for you. I'm 5'10", and love a tall seat for the transition from sitting to standing. I don't like that my feet are farther from the ground, but it makes me keep my feet on the pegs more.

I'm 5'11" and have been running taller seats on my bikes for past 8 years.

I put the taller Powerparts KTM seat on my 500 XCW and it makes a ton of difference in comfort as well as easing the seated to standing transition.

My only complaint is when riding in technical stuff, the ground seems a whole lot further away!!

The seat concepts standard is much wider than the stock 2x4 in the rear. This gives your ars a wider platform making it much more comfortable than stock.

I bought a extra tall Seat Concepts for my '13 500xcw and love it! I am 6'6" and have no problems with putting a foot down while riding northeast singletrack and it's like floating on a cloud dual sporting around class 4 woods roads. :thumbsup:

Taller seats offer my padding which means more comfort.  However, if you are anything less than 5'11" then a standard seat is the only way to go.  Being 5'10 1/2" on a good day the taller seat is not an advantage.  I tried my buddies.  He is 6'2" and it did not work well for me other than having a comfortable ride on the flat stuff.

I have a EE standard height seat, I'm 6'2. I wear gel padded bike shorts and they work great! I did a 200 mile dual sport and no sore ass.