Sign in to follow this  

Totally confused about initial valve adjustment ?

OK gang I need some input here.

I'm doing the full service after the 700 mile break-in and saved the valve check for last.

After setting the cams to the proper position along with the "T" timing mark I measured 0.008" both exhaust and 0.005" both intake. Just a wee bit tight so I did the appropriate calculations,ordered the proper shims dropped them in only to find I get the exact same readings.

This totally threw me for a curve. I rotated the crank counter clockwise several times and checked it again but still got the exact same readings as my initial check but now with shallower shims.

So I pulled the rocker arm shaft and removed the shims. Reinstalled the rocker arm and made another measurement with no shims in place. Guess what I find? The same measurments !!!!. It appears the shims are sitting below the retainers or I'm just not measuring this correct. This is not rocket science. I did a valve adjustment to my 1983 KZ550 which requires pulling the cams to do the job.

The Honda should be a cake-walk but I dont see what I'm doing wrong.

I'm using a brand new feeler gauge so I'm not grabbing the wrong one.

Can any one enlighten me ?

I'll be dammed if I drag this thing to the dealer to do something anyone with half a brain can do. Maybe I lost half of mine. I'm pushing 53.

OK gang I need some input here.

I'm doing the full service after the 700 mile break-in and saved the valve check for last.

After setting the cams to the proper position along with the "T" timing mark I measured 0.008" both exhaust and 0.005" both intake. Just a wee bit tight so I did the appropriate calculations,ordered the proper shims dropped them in only to find I get the exact same readings.

This totally threw me for a curve. I rotated the crank counter clockwise several times and checked it again but still got the exact same readings as my initial check but now with shallower shims.

So I pulled the rocker arm shaft and removed the shims. Reinstalled the rocker arm and made another measurement with no shims in place. Guess what I find? The same measurments !!!!. It appears the shims are sitting below the retainers or I'm just not measuring this correct. This is not rocket science. I did a valve adjustment to my 1983 KZ550 which requires pulling the cams to do the job.

The Honda should be a cake-walk but I dont see what I'm doing wrong.

I'm using a brand new feeler gauge so I'm not grabbing the wrong one.

Can any one enlighten me ?

I'll be dammed if I drag this thing to the dealer to do something anyone with half a brain can do. Maybe I lost half of mine. I'm pushing 53.

I think your problem is your feeler gauge is to wide ,this bike takes a very thin blade..and did you know Honda dropped the 600 mile requirement for valve check.

• Like 1

I did mine last weekend and was using an old gauge that wasn't flexible and was getting weird readings. So I went and bought a new one. And it worked great. The intake valves are easy to check. But the exhaust valves were a bitch cause the spark plug hole is raised. So I slid the gauge in and rotated it so the spark plug hole wasn't interfering and it helped a lot. My intake clearance measured .006, spot on. But one exhaust measured .010 and the other seemed to be .095 (between .09 and .010). A little out of spec on the one but I figured it would loosen up before the next check not tighten. And at TDC the rocker arm had movement so I know it's not over tight. So I didn't bother making changes. The hardest part of the job for me was getting the valve cover out without denting the radiator fins. I took it out of the left side. I'm no expert on this stuff, just looking at the service manual. FYI, I didn't check mine until 1900 miles.

• Like 1

I think your problem is your feeler gauge is to wide ,this bike takes a very thin blade..and did you know Honda dropped the 600 mile requirement for valve check.

That would have been nice to know. But I worry about stuff like that a lot. So the peace of mind helps me enjoy the ride.

I didnt know the valve check interval was changed. 

I'll look into a narrow blade feeler gauge. ?? If you look at the pictorials in the manual the feeler gauge used looks very typical to me. It does not look any different than the one I'm using. 

Edited by The5thMan

BTW

What is the new Honda recommended interval for the valve check ?

Edited by The5thMan

BTW

What is the new Honda recommended interval for the valve check ?

I just checked my manual ...  First valve check according to the maintenance schedule is 600 miles.  The next one at 16,000 miles.  If the schedule changed it was after they printed the 2014 manuals.

I just checked my manual ...  First valve check according to the maintenance schedule is 600 miles.  The next one at 16,000 miles.  If the schedule changed it was after they printed the 2014 manuals.

It was a service bulletin a few months ago not in 2014 owners manual includes all 2013-2014 CRF250L,CBR250R and all CB500's first service is 16,000 mile(which is a bit long like 8,000 mile oil changes) any way point is no need to rush to do it at 600 miles. Me I'll wait till 5,000 miles or so .

I'll likely just drop the original shims back in for now but that wont do me any good down the road. If I cant make the proper measurements at this time I'm going to run into the same issue then.

I'll likely just drop the original shims back in for now but that wont do me any good down the road. If I cant make the proper measurements at this time I'm going to run into the same issue then.

I read somewhere that you need the narrow type feeler gauge similar to this one from amazon .....  http://goo.gl/WNMCbp

41M79MGTDZL._SY300_.jpg

Edited by gnath9

It was a service bulletin a few months ago not in 2014 owners manual includes all 2013-2014 CRF250L,CBR250R and all CB500's first service is 16,000 mile(which is a bit long like 8,000 mile oil changes) any way point is no need to rush to do it at 600 miles. Me I'll wait till 5,000 miles or so .

Interesting ... but unsurprising.  Service intervals on cars have been getting longer for years as the engines are getting better, so it was only a matter of time for bikes... I've noticed many bike service intervals getting longer too; Ducati specifically has been increasing service intervals.

Thanks for the information!  

I read somewhere that you need the narrow type feeler gauge similar to this one from amazon .....  http://goo.gl/WNMCbp

41M79MGTDZL._SY300_.jpg

Thanks Gary

I'm looking into getting one of these asap.

Dennis

Does anyone know where one could find these service bulletins?  Or are they only provided to shops?

• Like 1

Yes the shims sit below the surface of the valve spring retainer so you need feeler gauges with a skinny tip like Gnath posted to so you can actually get down into the shim and not just float above it on the spring retainer.

Yes the shims sit below the surface of the valve spring retainer so you need feeler gauges with a skinny tip like Gnath posted to so you can actually get down into the shim and not just float above it on the spring retainer.

It would have been nice for this kind of clarification in the manual!

It really threw me a curve ball but I now have it worked out.

Still learning something new each day.

• Like 4

Is true that the valve check on the 2013-2014 models for the first 600mile check is not necessary anymore? where can we see the service bulletin?

this would be great because mine is getting close to the first 600 mile check.

Is true that the valve check on the 2013-2014 models for the first 600mile check is not necessary anymore? where can we see the service bulletin?

this would be great because mine is getting close to the first 600 mile check.

mine were fine at 1,200 miles 

My shims where fine at 12,000 but my cams looked like crap ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1413761512.463353.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1413761531.151723.jpg 16,000 miles on them. There getting changed out this winter with new rockers and DCR cams