Sign in to follow this  

Gonna start racing next year, any tips?

I plan on racing MX next year after I save up money and do some work to my bike, do you guys have any tips for a beginner?

race a bike with a stock, not worn out, engine and get a service manual. after making sure your bike isn't clapped out with things that need maintenance, invest a little in suspension. learn what sag is (and set it) and what a spring rate is at least. oh and when you get up for your first race do NOT ride like your racing. your guaranteed to get your doors blown off pretty much and there's really nothing you can do about that for your first race. if you expect to really race your first race you'll just be nervy and squirrel out and probably cartwheel your bike or something. racing totoally gets in your head and you have to stay relaxed so for your first couple of races just ride like a mix between trail riding and survival mode. the survival mode being watching out for the other novice monkeys taking some stupid "alternative line" by surprise in front of you or coming into a turn way too hot behind you and using you for brakes. seriously as far as your racing performance goes, write off your first few races and ride around as smoothly and safely as you can manage. it would be a major letdown to tell your buddies that you didn't even finish your first race because you stacked it up in the first turn. don't do that.

Thanks, I plan on rebuilding it this winter if I can afford it, I don't really get any support from my parents except to use my dads truck to haul my bike so its all on me, do you know anyone that does suspension work fairly cheap?

I have been getting to the track as often as I can, but hurt my knee last time I crashed and bike as been in the shop so its been a couple weeks since I have been riding