Sign in to follow this  

Tips on my riding

Your not doing bad at all, in fact your pretty decent at leaning the bike in the ruts for a beginner.  You can't tell a lot from your video but ill tell you your not doing bad at all.  My biggest tip would be ride as much as possible, maybe try to stay in a gear lower and be more in the power instead of lugging  it around.  Stand up more, grip with ankles legs and knees, elbows up. 

TAKE YOUR FINGER OFF THE FRONT BRAKE!!!!

Stand longer into corners...stop chopping the throttle through the corner, roll it smooth. Dont drag your foot, instead keep it up and forward and point your toes towards the front wheel. And dont listen to that ^ guy-always cover your front brake with 1 finger!

And dont listen to that ^ guy-always cover your front brake with 1 finger!

Wrong!!! Any rider who knows anything will tell you covering your front brake is a bad habit and prevents you from opening up the throttle all the way. That doesn't mean a lot of people don't do it. Keeping a finger on the clutch is good though

We can agree to disagree. I've got plenty of riding and racing time under my belt, I'm quite sure I know a thing or two

I'm new to MX as well. One thing that made a huge difference for me was switching from my index finger to my middle finger for covering the clutch. It's the smallest thing but it's made such a difference in my clutch control and how my left forearm feels late in the day.

Something I just started to finally do last weekend was 'pumping' the bike when jumping. I used to just ride off the face. Now I load the bike on the way up. It sucks up into me in the air. I feel like I have way better control. the gf who knows nothing about MX says the bike looks better in the air. Instead of just being along for the ride it feels like I'm in better control over the arch of the bike and it feels like it has some rhythm.

Edited by D4N63R

Yeah. I get more air overall without going any faster and it just feels better. Feels like I'm jumping the bike instead of the bike jumping me. I feel safer even though I'm going higher.

For the experts keep in mind I'm not ripping. I hit a lot of stuff mid 4th on my 250f and didn't really clear anything. Now that I'm doing this I'm clearing a lot of the tables without needing to commit to going faster.

Edited by D4N63R

Thanks for all the tips guys! ill have to put some of this down at the track on Tuesday. To preload it you mean to just compress the bikes suspension with your legs?

Edited by Mason107

Yeah. I get more air overall without going any faster and it just feels better. Feels like I'm jumping the bike instead of the bike jumping me. I feel safer even though I'm going higher.

For the experts keep in mind I'm not ripping. I hit a lot of stuff mid 4th on my 250f and didn't really clear anything. Now that I'm doing this I'm clearing a lot of the tables without needing to commit to going faster.

It's a good technique, but don't always rely on it. I typically only preload when theres a short run up to a jump, like out of the inside of a corner directly into a jump face or when the elevation of the landing is higher than the take-off. You should find a jump you are comfortable on without preloading and do it repetitively until you figure out how to stay in control of the bike in a neutral position

Thanks for all the tips guys! ill have to put some of this down at the track on Tuesday. To preload it you mean to just compress the bikes suspension with your legs?

That's sort of the idea...as your bike starts up the apex of the jump face, you let your body weight collapse the suspension rather than staying rigid in an attack position. Its sort of hard to explain, but you don't bounce with your legs.

• Like 1

some basic stuff to focus on:

-When you sitting and you go to put your foot out, keep it as far forward, in and up as you can. You're putting it out and letting it dangle. Keep your foot up near your front axle, toes to the sky.

-Leave the clutch out braking into the corner. Practice staying standing until you are done braking for the corner, then sitting. 

-Do multiple laps standing, over all your sitting too much and sitting to early into corners.

-Practice riding in a gear lower. Learn how to be smooth and control the throttle at higher rpms. It sounded like going into a lot of those corners you should have down shifted early while braking. Being in a higher gear isn't always faster.

-Line choice, line choice, line choice

Edited by Die_trying
  • Like 2

It's a good technique, but don't always rely on it. I typically only preload when theres a short run up to a jump, like out of the inside of a corner directly into a jump face or when the elevation of the landing is higher than the take-off. You should find a jump you are comfortable on without preloading and do it repetitively until you figure out how to stay in control of the bike in a neutral position

It's hard for me to explain. I'm not preloading to the extent of seat bouncing by any means. I stayed same gear, same speed just started moving more. Maybe rowing would be a better term?

All I know is it sure helps with my in the air confidence. I think I was too rigid before. Like I was standing on the bike instead of in it so to speak.

Edited by D4N63R
  • Like 1

To expand on what die_trying said about standing into corners, you should sit as you reach the apex of the corner, in turn compressing your suspension as you roll back on the throttle giving you the most traction possible. And any time spent coasting with the clutch in is a waste. If you aren't braking you should be on the gas. Also the time spent coasting is when you are least in control

Edited by yellow ketchup
  • Like 1

I need to practice that. I sit as I'm applying the brakes. All these threads say to sit as you transfer from the brakes to the gas.

It's hard for me to explain. I'm not preloading to the extent of seat bouncing by any means. I stayed same gear, same speed just started moving more. Maybe rowing would be a better term?

All I know is it sure helps with my in the air confidence. I think I was too rigid before. Like I was standing on the bike instead of in it so to speak.

Sounds like your creating extra rebound on the face to help 'pop' the bike up underneath you, giving you better control. The other half of that is learning to drop down into the bike, ie pumping, off the face into the air, creating a similar effect.

Edited by Die_trying
  • Like 1

I need to practice that. I sit as I'm applying the brakes. All these threads say to sit as you transfer from the brakes to the gas.

Yep, which typically should be at the apex of the corner.

Sounds like your creating extra rebound on the face to help 'pop' the bike up underneath you, giving you better control. The other half of that is learning to drop down into the bike, ie pumping, off the face into the air, creating a similar effect.

That sounds more like it. I know the bike is coming up further into me in the air.

Yep, which typically should be at the apex of the corner.

Thats now on the 'to practice' list for this weekend. :) Edited by D4N63R

We can agree to disagree. I've got plenty of riding and racing time under my belt, I'm quite sure I know a thing or two

Yeah I'm not trying to start an argument.

But that link says be able to use them separately, not cover it at all times