Sign in to follow this  

Recommendations about this trailer - Advice appreciated

Hi Everyone,

I just bought this 3 rail trailer. I will have a CRF250X in the center and my boys CRF50's (2) on the side. The wheels are 12 inch. Ball is 1 7/8.

1. What is a reasonable/safe speed to tow this behind an SUV.

2. Picking it up empty today it was rattling and bumping all over the place. Assume some weight will stop this?

3. I've never towed a trailer - anything I need to watch out for with this?

4. I understand that tie-downs can come loose if you hit a bump (the forks compress and the tie-down loosens and falls out of the eye bolt). Any way to prevent this?

5. The coupler looks a little like it could un-couple. Is there a way to wrap something around this to prevent it from opening? I thought of a small bungee cord?

6. I intend to grease the bearings in the next couple days. Any other things to check/service?

I have three used bikes that I have just bought (new for me) and would really hate to see them come past me on the highway, so any advice will be appreciated.

Many thanks

00V0V_eNPTZ4nt2dc_600x450.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I just bought this 3 rail trailer. I will have a CRF250X in the center and my boys CRF50's (2) on the side. The wheels are 12 inch. Ball is 1 7/8.

1. What is a reasonable/safe speed to tow this behind an SUV.

2. Picking it up empty today it was rattling and bumping all over the place. Assume some weight will stop this?

3. I've never towed a trailer - anything I need to watch out for with this?

4. I understand that tie-downs can come loose if you hit a bump (the forks compress and the tie-down loosens and falls out of the eye bolt). Any way to prevent this?

5. The coupler looks a little like it could un-couple. Is there a way to wrap something around this to prevent it from opening? I thought of a small bungee cord?

6. I intend to grease the bearings in the next couple days. Any other things to check/service?

I have three used bikes that I have just bought (new for me) and would really hate to see them come past me on the highway, so any advice will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Just be sure your bearings are in good shape and you'll be fine to 75 or so. I just took my trailer on a 600 mile trip didn't see below 70 much. Also make sure that your tires are inflated to max psi on the sidewall lower pressure will cause the tires to build heat and fail. This is what I did for straps. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401892155.559872.jpg

cut the hook off and get quick clips mine are over kill at 400 lbs but better safe than sorry. You'll have to use soft ties but I don't like scratched up bars any way

And If you could take a picture of the hitch it would I might know how to help you with that.

Edited by tractorman06
  • Like 1

Just be sure your bearings are in good shape and you'll be fine to 75 or so. I just took my trailer on a 600 mile trip didn't see below 70 much. Also make sure that your tires are inflated to max psi on the sidewall lower pressure will cause the tires to build heat and fail. This is what I did for straps. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401892155.559872.jpg

cut the hook off and get quick clips mine are over kill at 400 lbs but better safe than sorry. You'll have to use soft ties but I don't like scratched up bars any way

And If you could take a picture of the hitch it would I might know how to help you with that.

awesome - thanks for the advice. Good idea on the carabiner...

heres the photo of the coupler:

latch.JPG

awesome - thanks for the advice. Good idea on the carabiner...

heres the photo of the coupler:

You need to put a pin in the hole on it something like this ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401894942.514576.jpg

Or you could put a pad lock witch is what I do. Not really thief proof but it will keep the lazy crooks from steeling it if it still feels like it wants to come off they sell a rebuild kits for when the latch gets worn out

• Like 1

Small trailers like that bounce around a lot.

1. I wouldn't travel faster than 60 mph with one of those.

2. Weight will help some, but unless it has springs, it will bounce on every bump.

3. Take your time hooking it up and make sure you have some form of safety chain. It can be real simple.

4. Tractorman06 is right, put a pin through the hole on the hitch handle.

5. Remember, bikes are more stable when tie downs are at greater angles (flatter). Sometimes good to tie down the rear of the bikes too. They can bounce out of the rails on real bumpy roads.

6. Pin in handle and safety chain.

7. Again, tractorman06 on wheel bearings and tire inflation. Check lights if you have them. And check for any cracks in the frame. Have a great time riding with your boys.

• Like 1

Yea defiantly tie down the back of the bike trailers do bounce a little bit. If it bounces to much you could change the springs to a little bit lighter ones to help

Also I carry a spare hub and bearings I they aren't expensive for little trailers.

Edited by tractorman06
  • Like 1

Get a spare tire and mount it to the tongue of the trailer with a c clamp type setup. It's that 1 time ya know.

• Like 1

When using a wheel chock there is a pin that locks down the rim to it. May need to fab something similar to hold the rims to the rail.

I usually put a looped knot in my tie downs in the truck. They can still loosen so I've been looking into some velcro to keep it from loosening.

The link someone posted will definitely help keep it tight. Some use a block of wood though.

• Like 1

I am fond of going around the fork tube with a soft strap. This eliminates the chance of messing up the bars and dealing with the wires. I also put a knot in the tail of the tie down so that it can not pull back through the latch.

This is not the best picture to show but gives you an idea.

IMG_0202.jpg

• Like 1