Sign in to follow this  

advice on buying a crf250x: used 2008 or new 2012

Hi-  I am looking at buying one of two CRF250X bikes.  One would be a new, leftover 2012 which I think I could get for $6000 out the door with taxes.  The other is a used, mostly stock 2008 with a reported 200 miles listed for $4200.  First question:  Are there any notable differences between these two model years?  I think they both have HPSD, as this was introduced in 2008.  Second question:  How could I tell if the used bike has valve issues (though this might be unlikely at 200 miles)?

Finally, I am also looking at a leftover 2012 WR450f (fuel injected) for about $6800 out the door with taxes.  Any input on which would be a better bike for me would be appreciated.  Me:  44 years old, coming off XR250R/XR400R, relatively new to pure dirt biking, but have put in maybe 40 days in the last two years (love it!), ride mostly tight technical single track in Colorado (just as tight as back east if not more so), some big whoop sections though, dig rocks, roots, and technical stuff, just want to go fast and have fun, not a racer.

Thanks for your input!

Not a ton of differences between the two.   From '08 to '09 there were some carb changes.  From '09 and up, I'm not aware of anything.   However there is no HPSD on the 250x (it was added in '09 on the 450).

$4,200 is on the high side for an '08, even in good shape.   In regards to the mileage, unless it has an hour meter on it, you really can't count on anything.

As far as valves, it would be hard to start, but actually pulling the valve cover and checking them would be best.  I doubt though someone will let you do that.   My suggestion would be to assume the worst and hope for the best.  Your looking at $500 - $600 to get the valves/head done.

Jim.

Not sure...I wasn't aware they added it to the 250.  Certainly could be wrong though...guess they had to change something<g>

Here in the states nothing changed from '09 - '12 and I don't see anything different in the '12/'13 model you linked to.   There's not a good shot of the head light area, so it's hard to see if it really has the HPSD or not, but frankly I find it worthless on my 450x as it doesn't do all that much damping.

Jim.

Is there a big difference in reliability between the Honda and Yamaha? I think riding is a lot more fun than constant maintenance so it'd be great to hear opinions.

Believe it's a 2013 model change.   I poked around and looked at several reviews of the 2013 250x and several testers mention it, so it does indeed seem like it's there<g>

But that seems to be the only change from everything I could find.  There may be other things, but if so, it's got to be pretty minor.

Jim.

Is there a big difference in reliability between the Honda and Yamaha? I think riding is a lot more fun than constant maintenance so it'd be great to hear opinions.

Yamaha's are well known for engine reliability and less valve maintenance compared to other brands. They are heavier then the X, but not by much.

Any yamaha older then year 2010 the stock suspension is not nearly as good as the stock Honda, but the engines are more reliable.

2010 and current has the KYB SSS dual chamber forks. Every motorcycle review praises those forks. 2012 introduced fuel injection. The new stuff has FI, SSS, and it's know reliability. There definitely a bike to take a look at. I ride a 2007 WR450, my son rides a 250X. I like them both.

Yamaha's are well known for engine reliability and less valve maintenance compared to other brands. They are heavier then the X, but not by much.

Any yamaha older then year 2010 the stock suspension is not nearly as good as the stock Honda, but the engines are more reliable.

2010 and current has the KYB SSS dual chamber forks. Every motorcycle review praises those forks. 2012 introduced fuel injection. The new stuff has FI, SSS, and it's know reliability. There definitely a bike to take a look at. I ride a 2007 WR450, my son rides a 250X. I like them both.

SSS forks on the WR250??? Fuel  injection??? Sure?

Edited by YHGEORGE