Latest project (like I needed another one)

Just picked up a 92 kx 250.  "50 hours on the top end" , ya right...  Purple plastics, why?  dark purple frame, again, why?  Motor turns free, very little compression, not put a gauge on it yet, doing a top end anyway.  Prob a re-plate.  Think I will send to Ken O'connor, thoughts??

This is a project and no hurry, I have 3 other bikes I don't have time to ride.  I need your ideas.  Not really wanting to start the motor, it might let go, but I want to check out the transmission to make sure it shifts right.

Plans are for a severe face lift.  Not going full restore, but take it back to where it was.  Original looks.

Should I take a short spin before stripping the bike down to re-do about everything?

Where do I get "original plastics"?  Ebay doesn't have much right now.

Strip frame?  Not going power coated, money going other places.  Acrylic Enamel and double hardner will do just fine.  Imron is nasssy stuff.  Figure a quart mixed will do it.

I have the original seat, seems alright, no holes

anything you guys can contribute will be welcome.  

Pipe already polished out and finished.DSCN0599.JPGDSCN0602.JPG

The early 90's were a rough time for kawi's. That whole purple/blue thing infected some peoples brains. I saw a kx500 that had white plastic on the stock green frame, gold wheels. That was a cosmetic makeover that looked hot! Never saw anything with purple that I liked.

• Like 1

What did you use to polish that pipe? You did a good job.

Thanks, done a bunch of them.  Start out with that Navel Jelly and patience.  Liberal coat, glass of tea, about 30 min, scuff around with some 0000 steel wool, kinda gummy, rust comes right off, repeat on heavier rust.  Then hit it with the Mothers Mag Wheel polish and elbow grease!  Some neglected pipes I actually have to go tot he buffing wheels and use various compounds.  FMF pipes are very thin on the nickle.  Pro Circuit are a bit heaver and can take more buffing on the wheel.

Thanks, done a bunch of them. Start out with that Navel Jelly and patience. Liberal coat, glass of tea, about 30 min, scuff around with some 0000 steel wool, kinda gummy, rust comes right off, repeat on heavier rust. Then hit it with the Mothers Mag Wheel polish and elbow grease! Some neglected pipes I actually have to go tot he buffing wheels and use various compounds. FMF pipes are very thin on the nickle. Pro Circuit are a bit heaver and can take more buffing on the wheel.

Very cool...ill have to try it.

• Like 1

WOW!  Great job on the pipe!

I have some OEM new side panels and a left shroud for 1992 KX125 / 250. PM me with an offer, if you are interested.  Thanks.

I am pretty far from the plastics, I appreciate the offer.