Sign in to follow this  

WARP9 parts and workmanship quality

All,

I'm a proud owner of WR400 1999. One day I saw an attractive offer to get a set of completely new WARP9 SM wheels from another forum. I went ahead and  bought it. Few months later when I tried to fit it on the bike I realized that the rear wheel is for YZ450 09-13 with 25mm axle. Initially I thought of machining spacers and bushing to fit it on my 22mm axle, but later on I decided to buy new WARP9 hub for YZ 99-09.

When new hub arrived few weeks later, the first thing I noticed is that I hardly can rotate bearings. So I decided to pull out seals and bearings to inspect it.

Second surprise was that the seal size is different from original Yamaha rear hub seals.

Yamaha seals: 30 x 50 x 6 and 30 x 44 x 5. WARP9 seals: 30 x 50 x 7 and 30 x 45 x 5.

No chance I could use Yamaha seals in case I damage WARP9 seal during disassembly. I was upset, but still pop the seals carefully and what did I see? Another strike: no circlip installed in the groove. Ok... never-mind... pull the bearing out and Voilà: the bearing was press fit with misalignment and the hub surface is damaged by bearing outer ring...

So I thought that I am very unlucky, but then I decided to inspect my ZY 09-13 hub that I did intend to use. I removed the seals and:

• WARP 9 seal is: 33 x 42 x 7 (I think Yamaha seal is 33 x 42 x 5)
  • No circlip installed
  • No circlip groove machined!
  • bearing from the brake rotor side pressed in with misalignment and the hub is damaged the same way as the first hub I inspected.

Note guys: be aware! If you decided to buy WARP9 please inspect the hub before installing it. The parts quality is good, but workmanship definitely needs improvement...

Cheers

20140602_212220.jpg

20140602_212118.jpg

The thickness of the seal doesn't make much difference as sometimes there is more room and it will fit. You don't think maybe the anodizing was just off a bit.

Aren't those wheels made in China. Not that they can't produce quality sometimes though if they are the cheapest. Well, well, you know. They may just be off a bit.

warp9 is located in UT and they use a local machine shop for their stuff.  I dont know where their hoops come from but i know their hubs are machined locally.  Are you sure there was misalignment and its not just a coating issue?  New bearings can often be tight?  I never had a lick of trouble out of my warp 9 rims.  Also the customer service is great.  Give Kevin Tanis a call and talk to him about your issue.  Him and Jason are standup guys and im sure will do what they can to make things right.  Also warp9 is the only rim company i know of to have a warranty.  anything breaks you send the rim back with $60 and they fix or replace it for you.  I doubt Alpina would do that for me and i spent almost 2k on my rims and had to wait months for them.

Any why do they need to use yamaha parts and a circlip?  the circlip things is because of how cast hubs are made and the spacer between the bearings I am pretty sure.  Not the same issue when you machine the hubs.

My guess is that the pressed bearing rubbed the thin section of the anodize or some sort of galvanic response from a thin section of the coating and an SS bearing(cathodic vs anodic). When you dunk parts to anodize them you have to hold them somewhere.  Maybe the process has something that holds them from the bearing race area.  Either way i bet the bearings would break in after a mile or so.  I did thousands of miles, jumps, off road, track etc with my warp9s and never even had to tighten the spokes.

And just for knowledge Warp9 uses the yz front rim on the DRZ as well.  They share the same rotor bolt pattern.  Warp hubs are different dimensions than OEM hubs.  I've had warp, talon, smpro and my kite hubs and i dont think any of them had a circlip for the bearing on the brake side.

warp9 is located in UT and they use a local machine shop for their stuff.  I dont know where their hoops come from but i know their hubs are machined locally.  Are you sure there was misalignment and its not just a coating issue?  New bearings can often be tight?  I never had a lick of trouble out of my warp 9 rims.  Also the customer service is great.  Give Kevin Tanis a call and talk to him about your issue.  Him and Jason are standup guys and im sure will do what they can to make things right.  Also warp9 is the only rim company i know of to have a warranty.  anything breaks you send the rim back with $60 and they fix or replace it for you.  I doubt Alpina would do that for me and i spent almost 2k on my rims and had to wait months for them.

Any why do they need to use yamaha parts and a circlip?  the circlip things is because of how cast hubs are made and the spacer between the bearings I am pretty sure.  Not the same issue when you machine the hubs.

My guess is that the pressed bearing rubbed the thin section of the anodize or some sort of galvanic response from a thin section of the coating and an SS bearing(cathodic vs anodic). When you dunk parts to anodize them you have to hold them somewhere.  Maybe the process has something that holds them from the bearing race area.  Either way i bet the bearings would break in after a mile or so.  I did thousands of miles, jumps, off road, track etc with my warp9s and never even had to tighten the spokes.

And just for knowledge Warp9 uses the yz front rim on the DRZ as well.  They share the same rotor bolt pattern.  Warp hubs are different dimensions than OEM hubs.  I've had warp, talon, smpro and my kite hubs and i dont think any of them had a circlip for the bearing on the brake side.

Well well I take that China part back and your right when my rear marchisini wheel had cracked. It was no warentee it's a racing part. Only to find they updated it.

Well well I take that China part back and your right when my rear marchisini wheel had cracked. It was no warentee it's a racing part. Only to find they updated it.

i have seen a few cracked Marchisinis unfortunately... at least they can be welded and trued(depending on the crack).  The Alpinas use Kite hubs which are high quality, and their special part is really just the spoke nipple.  But yeah you have to pay to play.  When you consider that warp 9 gives you rims assembled with front brake rotor and rear rotor/sprocket for a little over $400 a rim(if you catch them on sale) its a steal of a deal.  If you look at the next lowest price SM rim set(dna) you are probably $100 less than warp9 BUT you dont get brakes or a sprocket which adds up quick.  Even a basic 320 rotor setup will cost you $200. plus a rear rotor and sprocket.

I should mention that I am in no way associated or supported by warp9.  I dont even currently own warp9 rims(cause i wanted tubeless and a 16.5 front which they dont offer) but i do have a set of their SM pegs.

i have seen a few cracked Marchisinis unfortunately... at least they can be welded and trued(depending on the crack).  The Alpinas use Kite hubs which are high quality, and their special part is really just the spoke nipple.  But yeah you have to pay to play.  When you consider that warp 9 gives you rims assembled with front brake rotor and rear rotor/sprocket for a little over $400 a rim(if you catch them on sale) its a steal of a deal.  If you look at the next lowest price SM rim set(dna) you are probably $100 less than warp9 BUT you dont get brakes or a sprocket which adds up quick.  Even a basic 320 rotor setup will cost you $200. plus a rear rotor and sprocket.

I should mention that I am in no way associated or supported by warp9.  I dont even currently own warp9 rims(cause i wanted tubeless and a 16.5 front which they dont offer) but i do have a set of their SM pegs.

They updated the new Marchisini's rears with a extra metal boss. The new one has not broke. The old one had a spoke break at a time. Had to junk it.

• Like 1

They updated the new Marchisini's rears with a extra metal boss. The new one has not broke. The old one had a spoke break at a time. Had to junk it.

the broken ones ive seen were fronts.  Good to know they updated them at least:)  At least with spoke rims you would have to try pretty hard to total loss it.  The hubs are usually fine and the largest cost.