USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Loving the new 200 xc-w, Need answers to some beginner questions haha

Hey all,

I just got my new 2014 200 xcw yesterday, i have to say after coming off of a klx250s its a huge learning curve. The bike was a little bit intimidating for the first 20 minutes, but after that i started to love it, i love the power delivery and i can already say i don't think i would ever want a 4 stroke again! The power delivery is EXACTLY what i always wanted :D 

I just have a quick question or two about riding the bike and revving it. I have never owned a high performance bike, and i have never even so much as sat on a 2 stroke until i got my 200. I notice when i am riding, just before the powerband kicks in, that the bike will make a noise that sounds like it WANTS to be in the power band.

1.Is it okay for me to ride the bike just under the power band for very long?

2. is it okay for me to ride in the powerband for very long, or is the powerband just meant to be hit in short bursts? 

3. Can i hold a steady/constant throttle on the 2t like i could with the klx? or should throttle use be a lot more on/off?

4. Is there anywhere in the RPM range that shouldn't be ridden for long periods of time?

5. The bike lugs great, but if i am lugging it for very long, can this have a negative effect on the engine or any other parts for that matter?

6. Sometimes the bike dont like to stay going when stopped (idling) & cuts out. is this normal for a 2t?

7.When going down long downhills, is it best for me to pull in my clutch and coast it? or just keep a little throttle on to keep the fuel/oil going through the engine?

And here is my biggest question, how can i tell if my bike is a little on the lean side? i have read a lot and it says its all in the sound in the engine and bike performance. But this is my first real dedicated dirt bike, and first two stroke. I don't really have a good idea on what the bike is supposed to sound or act like in the first place, and i don't want to do any damage. I am trying to learn as much as i can about using the bike and understanding the engine and what to do/not to do before i do too much riding! I couldn't have possibly bought a better bike for my experience level, it just feels right to me. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Trevor

1.2.3.4.5. Ride the bike and stop worrying about these questions, the bike can handle all of what you are asking about and much worse. 

6. You can adjust the idle screw for a little bit higher idle speed. The idle screw is a throttle slide stop in the carb so adjusting it some will keep the throttle open slightly more so the bike will stay running. Also, your air screw can have an affect of idle as well, but I would start by turning your idle screw in.

7. It is preference

8. You can tell if the bike is running lean if at constant throttle, you ever feel it cut out and lose power for a split second. A plug chop can tell you if your main jet is lean, rich, or accurate. Main jet controls only 3/4 to full throttle though, so identifying leanness in other parts of the throttle stroke can be more of a test and tune game. 

You wont damage anything as long as you keep the air filter cleaned and oiled, the tranny oil fresh, and the premix/gas ratio correct (most run about 40:1 - 60:1)

• Like 1

Almost all your questions can be answered with yes but it depends on your jetting. If your bike is not jetted properly you could for example run lean in the mid range but be okay in the lower and upper rpm and the result could be damaging. You will want to learn to jet the bike properly for the best possible results and best life of the motor.

Without compression braking, the 2 stroke can be a little different to manage on down hills. I don't like to run to low of a gear with high revving but I certainly wouldn't be running downhill with the clutch pulled in. Proper braking technique is important.

I started out on 2 strokes then had a Kawi 250 thumper for a few years and went back to 2 stroke 3 years ago on my 200. I love it.

Hey all,

3. Can i hold a steady/constant throttle on the 2t like i could with the klx? or should throttle use be a lot more on/off?

Thanks

Trevor

When I do the above, my new 2013 KTM 300xc gets this rattle coming from the top end. At least that's where I think it's coming from. Sounds like someone is tapping the head with a hammer. IT ONLY DOES THIS WHEN THERE IS NO LOAD AT A STEADY SMOOTH THROTTLE IN THE MID RPM RANGE. DOES NOT MATTER WHAT GEAR OR SPEED. It happens every time I try to cruise along with the throttle steady and the RPMs in the mid range.

Also, when I let off the throttle, it surges and does an occasional ping.

This is my first two stroke since I was a kid. I am 44 now. I had an Italjet 50 when I was a kid and I don't remember it doing any of this.

2013 KTM 300XC

Sent from my iPad using Thumper Talk mobile app

If recommend a JD jet kit for the 200, it really smooths out the power and it's easy to tune in.

• Like 1

Get it jetted and have the suspension adjusted for you, meaning your weight and riding style. It's a 60:1 mix ratio. Stick to it. 

It's all been answered already.

So I'll just throw in I love my 13 200 XC-W!!

Bike gets better every ride.  My favorite woods bike of all time.

Enjoy!!