Sign in to follow this  

Rear Shock Spanner Size?

Anyone know what size spanner is used to adjust the pre-load collar? I used a wooden dowel and hammer to move it but it takes forever to make progress. I'd rather use a proper tool if I can. Google hasn't been helpful to me on this :(

Anyone know what size spanner is used to adjust the pre-load collar? I used a wooden dowel and hammer to move it but it takes forever to make progress. I'd rather use a proper tool if I can. Google hasn't been helpful to me on this :(

I don't know the size, but I doubt you'll get a spanner in there between the airbox, shock and shock reservoir... I just use an old screwdriver that I ground the tip flat, so as not to have a sharp "chiseled" end.  Similar to Racetech's tool, but shorter and cheaper 

F14053905.jpg

I currently have the shock off the bike so no worries about clearance :D

How often to shocks usually need to be recharged? I'm wondering if I should see about getting it done while I have it off.

Recharged? Never if the nitro isn't leaking. However the shock should be rebuilt/serviced every so often.... meaning new fluids, bushings, seals and nitro recharge.

If the shock is original and never serviced it probably needs at least new fluid and nitro recharge. While it's apart you could also have it re-valved.