Sign in to follow this  

Metal Shavings around fork seal

Hey guys,

I'm currently doing my first fork seal change.  My shop sold me a 48 mm seal driver, according to rocky mountain atv it should be a 46/47.  I didn't relize this until I pounded in a seal on the first tube I was working on, and I now have some very small metal shavings on my new fork seal.  I got a lot of it out with a q-tip, is there any suggestions to clean this out a bit better?  Will my fork be ok?

Did the shavings come off the outer tube, chrome slider or tool?  As long as the shavings didn't get pushed into the seal lip, I'd spray a little contact cleaner in the seal area and blow it out (blow gun + compressor).

Your question seems a little bit like asking if you will be okay after you found blood on your hands, and tried to clean it off, but you wont say where the blood came from or how much there was.

Did you measure the diameter of your lower fork tube? What are the shavings made of?

Assuming you put everything back in the right order, I'm guessing your oversized seal driver smashed a little alum off the outer tube. In which case  it's probably best to pop it out again, and inspect and smooth up the damaged surface, and put it all back together. It should be fine. Just depends how bad the wack was.

It was hitting the outer tube.  I cleaned out the seals, hoping all is good now.