Sign in to follow this  

long term\high mileage 650R owners

My '00 650R just passed 30000km (18 641 miles) on the odometer the other day, the bike has been in my ownership since '06 and has been streetplated since it was new, in my ownership it has done mostly street, a good deal of dirt and even some ice riding, when it had done about 13000km I installed a stage 1 hotcams and a Wiseco high-compression piston, I do the oil and filters on a regular basis and valves once a year, I've replaced one clutch and rebuilt the linkage once.

the only parts that have failed on the bike during my ownership was the stator and the voltage regulator, the stator was a rickystator unit, and I suspect the stator was the reason the regulator went too, nothing else has broken on the bike and it is still starting on the first kick and running strong, I have no plans on replacing any parts or overhauling the engine yet.

my bike has been bulletproof and more reliable than any other vehicle I've owned, and I'm curious about other peoples long term ownership\high mileage 65R experiences.

how long have you owned your bike and how many miles have it done?

how have you been riding your R? street, dirt, dualsport?

do you service the bike often?

ever had a major breakdown\failure? if so, what was the reason for it?

ever done a major rebuild\overhaul? or do you plan on doing one soon?

and at what mileage would you say that it's about time to do a rebuild\replace components?

I am NEW to XR650R but NOT new to XRs or engines of any sort...

From my research:

how long have you owned your bike and how many miles have it done?

• Bought 2 months ago, only ridden about 100 miles

how have you been riding your R? street, dirt, dualsport?

• Been riding Honda Xrs (50, 70, 80, 100, 200, 250, 250R, 250L, 400R, 650L, 650R since I was 11 years old (24 now)
  • Dual-sported an 2004 XR650L all thru college, now own a clean 2001 XR650R with street equipment for dual-sport

do you serviceicon1.png the bike often?

• Oil/Filter Change (Shell Rotella 15W-40 Diesel Oil, Full Synthetic) every 1000 miles, if it goes longer, it's still clean.
  • CHECK OIL IMMEDIATELY after bike is shut off. 1.5Q capacity but is misleading if you check it cold. 
  • Air Filter checked every couple rides
  • Spark plug every 1000 miles
  • Check Valves every 1000 miles
  • Lube chain/sprocket every ride
  • Radiator fluid 1000 miles

No major failures with ANY XR I've ever owned following this schedule. 

90,000 kms both street and dirt ,commute it during the week dirt blast it on the weekend ,use mineral oil only change every 3,000 km and filter every 6,000

owned since 12,000 kms

90,000 kms both street and dirt ,commute it during the week dirt blast it on the weekend ,use mineral oil only change every 3,000 km and filter every 6,000

owned since 12,000 kms

damn sean, that's a lot of kilometers.

do you have a preference in a specific brand of oil? the only quality mineral oil I can find here in norway is for car engines, so I tend to stick with semi-synthetics.

damn sean, that's a lot of kilometers.

do you have a preference in a specific brand of oil? the only quality mineral oil I can find here in norway is for car engines, so I tend to stick with semi-synthetics.

Pills i dunno if you can get it in Norway but i use castrol 4t ... its a cheap oil available every where here .....in those kms i have only done 3 valve checks ..same clutch no other mods .....its still runs and runs hard but im due for a timing chain  and thought may as well rebuild her as she has looked after me ...so new rod and build from there ....

bout time for another vid from you ... its been awhile