Sign in to follow this  

XR650R: Creature Comforts: Help!

All,

I have a dual-sported XR650R.

Looking to add features to make it a more comfortable ride for the road.

It's mostly stock with 15/43 gearing, ATV bars, and Shinko 705s on the stock 21/18" rims. Added Clarke 4.3 tank and SeatConcepts Tall/Standard foam. 

Not looking to hit 100MPH, just be able to cruise at 75MPH for stretches. And get there FAST. 

What I am looking for:

• Proper gearing for road/off-road applications, focusing on acceleration off-road and on backroads, with less emphasis on highway revs. I find 15/43 to be WAY too tall for my application (messing around off-road, blasting backroads, and 30-mile runs to work (backroads sub-70MPH)
  • Fairing/Windshield options: Looking to add a wind-protection system for highway use. This will double as protection for my handle-bar-mounted cell phone (used for GPS and navigation)
  • Passenger comforts: passenger pegs a must. Will re-inforce sub-frame to for passenger/travel rack.
  • Reduce vibrations from engine. It is NUMBING after some time. Cush hub? Different wheels/tires? Anti-vibration handlebars/grips

Please help!!!!

By the way, I am 6'3, 225 pounds and have ridden every XR known to man.

I had an XR650L and am looking to duplicate it's on-road comfort. That bike was GREAT in terms of road-smoothness...

I recently got mine plated, and noticed some of the same things. Mine has stock gearing, 14/48, which is too tall for the trails I ride, plus 5th gear seems to lug in the 45-50 mph range. I'm going to try 14/50 next. I am not willing to put on a fairing, as mine will see 80+% dirt, so the reduced highway cruising shouldn't be an issue. There is something called a bar snake to reduce vibration, but I don't know what else you can do about that.

You find 5th gear at 50MPH to lug with 14/48? That's how mine feels at like 60-65mph.

I find the 15/43 combo to be too tall for anything less than like 80MPH...and I don't want to ever cruise that high.

Does anyone else run a 50+ tooth rear sprocket with a 15 tooth front??? 

15/47 best of both worlds good street good dirt

What Sean-0 said. 

I also wrap my grips with tennis handle wrap to widen and soften the grip.  

Sean-O, why 15/47 and not 15/48 (stock rear) so I can swap 14/48 and 15/48 without changing the chain?

Does anyone else know why the XR650L is SO smooth and vibration-free on the road compared to an XR650R? I mean, I expected some difference, but it's a large gap....like a CR250 vs a Shadow 1100 (to me)

Would I perhaps be better off to start with an XR650L, DRZ400, or DR350 as a dual-sport/adventure/supermoto bike?

THe purpose-built dual-sports seem to be MUCH smoother on the road...I want this...

a stock gear in Aus is 15/45 bit to tall for off rd .but good on the hyw ....15/47 keeps the bike in a good rev range at 60 to 70 mph .the bike was built to ride off rd so smooth is not what honda wanted .. tuff as gutz gearbox and motor is what they built and thats what we have ,,90,000 kms on my bike  hyw and off rd kms . vibration was not a concern for me , getting home is

mod the seat. make it wider. the previous owner put a corbin on mine and omg it really is that good. you could prob get 80% of the comfort for 1/2 the price just make it wider and dish it out. any upholstery shop would do it no prob.

Would I perhaps be better off to start with an XR650L, DRZ400, or DR350 as a dual-sport/adventure/supermoto bike?

THe purpose-built dual-sports seem to be MUCH smoother on the road...I want this...

I found long days on the DRZ400E to be far more uncomfortable than on the XR650R.   Higher vibes and narrow seat, and even with a quality aftermarket seat like Renazco not much better.  

I did 40,000 miles on 400E over 5 years as my only vehicle and about 1/2 of that was off road.  On XRRs I have almost the same mileage with the same road conditions.  If all else fails, there is always naproxen sodium, (Aleve).

xrr are world class dual sport bikes as long as you set them up with a comfy seat, big tank, ds tires, and gear to your taste. they are perfect. some might want to invest in some kinda of wind protection if you spend alot of time slabbing it.

xrr are world class dual sport bikes as long as you set them up with a comfy seat, big tank, ds tires, and gear to your taste. they are perfect. some might want to invest in some kinda of wind protection if you spend alot of time slabbing it.

Comfy seat: SeatConcepts Tall/Standard foam

Big tank: Clarke 4.3G Red

Gearing: 15/43 (16T front, 40T Rear, 43T Rear, 48T rear available)

Wind protection: Want to build a custom windscreen/rally fairing build

Handlebars: Want to get CR-high 1 1/8 fat bars

Bar Mount: Need tall bar mount

Grips: Want vibration-reduction grips

Anyone have suggestions for above BOLDED items? 

I am 6'3, 225 and commute 60 miles per day on my bike