Sign in to follow this  

Another no spark XR 70

Hey guys,first time posting here. I just picked up a 2003 xr 70 a couple days ago that I knew didn't run. I assume that it will need a new stator,but just want to make sure before buying one. Is there anything else besides the two switches that I need to check? Also there is three wires coming out of the stator and one of them(yellow) is not being used,is that the problem? Because I cant find anywhere that looks like it connects to.

Hey guys,first time posting here. I just picked up a 2003 xr 70 a couple days ago that I knew didn't run. I assume that it will need a new stator,but just want to make sure before buying one. Is there anything else besides the two switches that I need to check? Also there is three wires coming out of the stator and one of them(yellow) is not being used,is that the problem? Because I cant find anywhere that looks like it connects to.

Here is a link to the CRF70 wiring diagram.  Sounds like it might have an aftermarket chinese engine that is wired for lights.

No its a Honda engine,I did find the problem though. I purchased a new stator just to find out when I took it apart the wire to the pick up was broken. But I went ahead and installed the new stator anyway just to be safe.

No its a Honda engine,I did find the problem though. I purchased a new stator just to find out when I took it apart the wire to the pick up was broken. But I went ahead and installed the new stator anyway just to be 

So is it good to go?  Time to get out and ride it :thumbsup:

Yep good to go! My 7yr old has been riding the wheels off of it in the backyard. BUT we have another issue! The bike has a open element uni filter and a FMF pipe and muffler and stock size jets in the carb. So now it is popping and cracking pretty bad above half throttle.I have new pilot jets and main jets ordered to try to tune this thing in. Any suggestions on the jetting? Am I thinking right,the popping and cracking is leaning out at higher rpms?

Mid throttle is not your Main Jet. That is your needle. Is it possible to drop the needle down a slot. That should provide the fuel you need for the lean condition.

Yea I have moved the needle up and down with little difference in mid throttle response. Makes me wonder if an intake gasket leak would cause this?

Yea I have moved the needle up and down with little difference in mid throttle response. Makes me wonder if an intake gasket leak would cause this?

CHeck the ground wire to the frame.  It is directly above the carb and has a bolt that screws in tot eh backbone of the frame.  If that is loose, it can cause some of the issues you are explaining.  Just want to check some basic things that I have dealt with before changing the jetting.  Although the bike will need rejetted for the setup you have.

With the addition of a UNI filter and an aftermarket pipe, a main jet change to the next bigger size (#65) is usually necessary..

Edited by dirtbkr188

I checked the ground and it was clean and tight. I have a a couple main jets and a couple pilot jets coming in the mail to play around with that will hopefully fix it. Would a weak coil cause this I wonder? The reason I ask is because I once put an aftermarket "high performance" coil in my truck and it acted the same way,it stuttered and coughed when under load..........I dont know just thinking out loud.