Sign in to follow this  

XT550 (83) Kickstart lever

Can anyone tell me if the kickstart lever on an XT600 is the same as the one on an XT550. The one on my bike (XT550) has snapped and a replacement XT550 lever is hard to find ?

Anyone know ?

Thanks for the reply . The kick start broke on the clamp that grips the spline . The decompressor is ok . Maybe metal fatigue, while you are there and just for future reference will a head and barrel fron a 600 fit straight onto the lower engine ? Just asking in case of future issues should they arise . Thanks

Soory for the late reply . You can bolt the 600 cylinder and head(all parts to go with it) right on the 550 lower. You can use the 550 head even, if the cylinder is '84-'87, compression will be higher but people have run the with good results. The 550 head doesn't have as much flow though so it kind of even out as far as hp. You just put a 600 piston (95mm) on the 550 rod and bolt everything down. The 600 carbs would be best but with rejetting the original carbs will be fine, they are almost the same carbs but are 2mm smaller than the 600's. Rest of the motor is identical.

Edited by jjktmrider

Thanks for the reply

Regarding the kick start lever, which appears to be an issue to quite a few people (I cant get a XT 550 or a XT600 lever anywhere for a reasonable sum ££ anyway ) a Hoda XR 600 lever fits straight on same spline everything. Just a slightly different lever shape. Just might help other who have the same problem.