Sign in to follow this  

Broke Showa SFF fork on a KXF2013?

Hi!

The left fork was leaking oil last week and today took of the leg to change oil seal, but i discover that it's not the seal that is leaking. There is i tiny gap between the inner leg and the bottom part of the leg, you can feel it when moving the leg. The oil is leaking from here and also from one of the fork guards bolthole?

So the question is, is my fork broke? Is the bottom part pressed to the innerleg with an o-ring around it? If, it's possible to fix this somehow?

Anyone who had this problem before?

Best regards 

läck.jpg

Yes it is possible to repair but it is a bit complicated. Remove the grub screws at the bottom fork lug, usually they are allen heads. After they are removed, use a dremel with a long tip file to reach the bottom of the hole and smoothen the broken threads that were crushed by the grub screws. Next step, unscrew the fork lug. Usually you need heat but I have a feeling your fork lug will unscrew right away without much heat if it is loose already. The thread is very fragile. Unscrew slowly 1/4 turn at a time and scwewing back in 1/8 every time. To re assemble, you will need to repair the damaged thread with a file, a bottle of red locktite and find a new o-ring.

Edited by no hand

Looking at the amount of play between the foot and the lower leg I think the threads could be beyond repair. I'd be looking into it more. Why has it happened, and has anyone else experienced these failures. Then start the pull down as above to gauge the extent of the damage.

It does happen on kybs , probably set slightly loose from new

• Like 1

No way to fix that so it is safe. Many times I have seen this happen because the fork protector bolts were replaced with longer ones and they bottom against the tube. It takes a lot less torque than you would imagine to bend the inner tube. The spring gets hard to remove if you can get it out at all and the oil starts leaking at the lug.

Removing a lug from a KYB sometimes can be done without major damage but I no longer even attempt a Showa.

WP is cake, just warm it up and take it off.

I have a Kaw in right now with both lugs loose.

I told the owner replace the lowers or take it elsewhere as it is an accident waiting to happen.

No way to fix that so it is safe. Many times I have seen this happen because the fork protector bolts were replaced with longer ones and they bottom against the tube. It takes a lot less torque than you would imagine to bend the inner tube. The spring gets hard to remove if you can get it out at all and the oil starts leaking at the lug.

Removing a lug from a KYB sometimes can be done without major damage but I no longer even attempt a Showa.

WP is cake, just warm it up and take it off.

I have a Kaw in right now with both lugs loose.

I told the owner replace the lowers or take it elsewhere as it is an accident waiting to happen.

Okay i see, so i need to get new lowers. Do you know any other bike and year who has 48mm Showas that i can buy and take the lowers insted of new for a lot of $$$?

Is the RMZ 250 2013, Showa SFF fork identical with the kawis?

Edited by pontakoj

Okay i see, so i need to get new lowers. Do you know any other bike and year who has 48mm Showas that i can buy and take the lowers insted of new for a lot of $$$?

Is the RMZ 250 2013, Showa SFF fork identical with the kawis?

No they have a different fork lug and wheel axle.

This happens very often on the KYB forks.  They have an aluminum set screw and don't hold as well as the steel set screws that you find on a Showa fork.  Most of the time this is repairable by removing the axle carrier with an innertube clamp (48mm) and applying heat, inspecting the threads, o-ring sealing surfaces, and re-installing the axle carrier with red loctite and a new set screw (like no hand said).  Sometimes the inner tube has rotated too far and damaged too many threads that the axle carrier will seize onto the inner tube when trying to remove.  Without seeing it first hand it is hard to tell if the movement is enough that it could have stretched the material as well.   

There was no set screws at all on that fork leg, and no holes for set screws either? I did a try to remove the lug and reinstall it with a lot of red loctite. I'll test this weekens if it holds, otherwise i will need to buy a new innertube i guess.

Do you know if there is any other Showa 48mm innertube that fits? Feels a bit in the wallet to buy new fron Kawi for 520 $... 

There was no set screws at all on that fork leg, and no holes for set screws either? I did a try to remove the lug and reinstall it with a lot of red loctite. I'll test this weekens if it holds, otherwise i will need to buy a new innertube i guess.

Do you know if there is any other Showa 48mm innertube that fits? Feels a bit in the wallet to buy new fron Kawi for 520 $... 

Unfortunately most of the previous years of Showa are 47mm and they are model specific to the KXF and RMZ.  Motosport or Rocky Mountain has them for a little cheaper, no sales tax, free shipping, and 20%off.  Looked them up and a LH tube was like $468.  Not much better than $520 but its something.

Unfortunately most of the previous years of Showa are 47mm and they are model specific to the KXF and RMZ.  Motosport or Rocky Mountain has them for a little cheaper, no sales tax, free shipping, and 20%off.  Looked them up and a LH tube was like $468.  Not much better than $520 but its something.

Thx, the problem is that i live in Sweden and buy them of my local dealar. Do you think that my "fix" will even work?