Sign in to follow this  

01:00 clock reset fix

I don't know why it bothered me as much as it did but having the clock reset to 01:00 every time I turned on the bike was like a check engine light or the 12:00 flash on a VCR no one ever set. It was making me more and more frustrated every time I would go for a ride.
I finally had enough.
There are probably better ways to fix this, and I forgot to photograph the corrosion on the red and orange wires before I cleaned them off, but here is how I fixed the clock.
The red had power all the way to the board. Every forum I saw mentioned the red was probably cut or broken. This wasn't the case. The power did stop though once it reached the board and the corrosion.
I took a magnifying glass and saw that the red seemed like it should be going to whatever the D.4 1E component was. I took some wire and soldered from the red went up through the connector and soldered the other end to the component.
The clock keeps time now...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by tcosson

Unless the PCB designer is sadistic, D's are diodes. Sounds like the diode has failed open and you've bypassed it, which is generally not the best thing to do. Google the markings on the diode and then see if you can find it at Digikey/Newark/Allied/Radio Shack/wherever and replace it. 

I would solder that wire to the other side of the diode, if the clock still holds the time the traces on your board are beat. If it does still hold the time, consider your fix complete.. If not, replace the diode. You're just going to cause other problems with other components down the road. Think of this as check valve for electricity. 

That is a SMD (surface mount) but since it looks large you should be able to replace it easily with a fine tipped iron. You can get a replacement from mouser, digikey, or radioshack if it's common.

I could never find the specs for the diode, but I'm pretty sure the trace to it was broken under the part that looks like (but isn't) a connector.
That said I connected the power lead to the anode side so it shouldn't (fingers crossed) be bypassing anything.
Either way I guess I will know soon.