Sign in to follow this  

Any tips on going thru rollers and whoops faster?

I am a pretty decent rider but I struggle with rollers and whoops. Any advice on helping me get faster thru them? 

Keep a steady throttle and don't be in too low a gear, this can drop the front wheel. Keep your weight slightly back to start with. If the front is too low, lean a bit further back. If its too high slowly bring yourself forward and use your arms more. As you get faster you can use more throttle and hop through them.

Whoops and rollers are probably the thing I'm personally best at on the track, so I'll give you a few tips.

Basically, you want your weight closer to the back of the bike (3/4) of the way back, possibly more if your really small. Bend your knees.

The most important part (IMO) besides body position is that you have to "row" back or pull on your handlebars upward like trying to wheelie, timing it so you tap or slightly wheelie over each whoop. You really have to be confident in the bike and have commitment all the way through the section. You need to be on the gas hard too. Very important.

Shift up a gear, and squeeze tight with your ankles to your knees and let your bike move under you. It's gonna get loose. The biggest things are getting back on the bike, rowing back, and giving it a lot of gas and not letting off. Letting off= endoing or swapping.

This applies to most rollers and "whoops" (really rollers) on almost all motocross tracks. The difference between the two is that rollers your back wheel stays planted and just your front wheel wheelies over them. Real whoops your rear wheel also bounces off each one. These are pretty rare on tracks cause they are pretty difficult

• Like 3

I am a pretty decent rider but I struggle with rollers and whoops. Any advice on helping me get faster thru them? 

This is a pretty broad question.  There are many techniques....and you have to get good at all of them...

1.  Doubling / Tripling

2.  Wheel Tapping

3.  Skimming

4.  Carrying the front over longer spaced rollers...

Learning each of these techniques is an undertaking.  The good riders can do it all...and switch from one technique to another in the middle of a whoop pad...

Committing was the biggest factor for me. I used to be afraid to hold the throttle through all the whoops and when i let off i would swap. Dont be afraid to fall and give it power, you'll get it eventually.

Make sure your suspension is stiff enough. Some times a couple of clicks can make all the differance in your confidence.

Whoops and rollers are probably the thing I'm personally best at on the track, so I'll give you a few tips.

Basically, you want your weight closer to the back of the bike (3/4) of the way back, possibly more if your really small. Bend your knees.

The most important part (IMO) besides body position is that you have to "row" back or pull on your handlebars upward like trying to wheelie, timing it so you tap or slightly wheelie over each whoop. You really have to be confident in the bike and have commitment all the way through the section. You need to be on the gas hard too. Very important.

Shift up a gear, and squeeze tight with your ankles to your knees and let your bike move under you. It's gonna get loose. The biggest things are getting back on the bike, rowing back, and giving it a lot of gas and not letting off. Letting off= endoing or swapping.

This applies to most rollers and "whoops" (really rollers) on almost all motocross tracks. The difference between the two is that rollers your back wheel stays planted and just your front wheel wheelies over them. Real whoops your rear wheel also bounces off each one. These are pretty rare on tracks cause they are pretty difficult

I like a good whoop field.  I'd just ad to drive the rear wheel to the ground, with your legs, as you're rowing with the bars.  Find a rhythm with the bike.  

Shift up a gear and try to wheelie into it and lean back

You just created a thread asking for advice on small jumps and whoops.....now you're giving out advice on the same subject?

You just created a thread asking for advice on small jumps and whoops.....now you're giving out advice on the same subject?

I looked up a better and faster way to get through them and looked at some of the pros like James Stewart and villipoto and posted on here but I wanted some more advice to be sure I could get as much as I could

For supercross style whoops I try keep my bodyweight closer to the middle of the bike, I aim my front tire for about 6-8" from the top of each whoop, (gives enough bump to make it to the next one) otherwise be in a high gear and hold on with your feet/ankles.

For rollers, high gear again, lean back... your butt should be over the rear fender, try skim the front tire off the top of each roller and lots of pumping with your legs. Even if you only manage this for the first few and then double thru the rest it's a start and it's faster than just trying to double thru.