Sign in to follow this  

KTM EXC 450 - Front Tire & Rear Brakes

Hey All,

I got my new front tire (80/20 - off road/street) stretched on at the local bike shop and noticed afterwards that it is backwards, and the rotation is incorrect.  Is this a major issue for a knobby tire that lives most of it's life in the dirt?

The other issue is my rear break has got no stopping power.  Looking to trouble shoot this issue.

Thanks,

GoldenBoy

Thanks for the posts guys, only issue is it's the rear break that has no stopping power, not the front one (which was put on backwards).  Not getting any compression at all from my back break.

Was the rear brake working before the tire change?

Most of us do our own tire changes ourselves to make sure that it is done correctly.

I was thinking I'd strecth the new tire on myself but the shop fixed me up for $30 taxes in.

Rear brake hasn't worked yet this year, gonna top off the fluid and bleed it. Owners manual says to use Castrol Response brake fluid super DOT 4, or Motorex DOT 5.1. The shop in town has another brands DOT 4 on the shelf, but either of these I'd have to order in.  Any luck using different brands or should I stick to the owners manual?

My 08 450 exc rear brake quit working yesterday. I flushed out the fluid this morning and Naaaaaassssty brown. I guess 6 years, 407 hours and 9,000 miles

is a little over the service schedule. :bonk:

Used a regular Dot 4 and the breaks are working like a charm.  Now to go to the other bike shop and have them put the tire on right. Thanks all!

Directional tires are usually just for grip. Shouldn't be an issue to just flip it. Rear brake - just bleed it and make sure there are no leaks, then check your pads are no roached. If it still doesn't work then you probably have a bad master cylinder or stuck caliper piston. good luck