Race fuel

Have you considered AV fuel? Also known as 100LL. It's very clean burning and doesn't have the crap like the pump has. I've been running it for years. I wouldn't run anything hotter than 100 octane unless you have a high compression piston bc you will fry it.

Yeah but it's stupid expensive. You can get av gas at the airports or independent pump stations. Is there anywhere around you that sells race fuel like 104 or 110. I would ask around. The bike is set for 93. Av is actually 96 so it's ok to run. I know too many guys running oxygenated fuel on a stock compression bike that melted the piston. Especially if you are on the throttle and rev out a lot.

Have you considered AV fuel? Also known as 100LL. It's very clean burning and doesn't have the crap like the pump has. I've been running it for years. I wouldn't run anything hotter than 100 octane unless you have a high compression piston bc you will fry it.

Octane rating has nothing to do with how hot a fuel burns. 

Anyways, you are spot on about the 100LL. It is a great alternative to pump after you factor in price and the consistency of the fuel. 

Cholmes... I would 100% suggest using a race fuel or at minimum cut your pump fuel with it. It doesn't have to be super expensive to work though. Also search around for local people that have it and ask about a little help. I found a dealer about 10 mins from my house that sells to me for 1/2 price just to run their name on my bike as a form of advertisement. I am currently paying less for a gallon of 110 race fuel for cheaper than a gallon of 93 for my truck! I'm getting it for $4.15 per gallon. I'm not saving money by cutting my race fuel so I run it straight. You may need to have your ECU remapped again depending on which fuel you decide to run. It is a little more expensive but 100% worth it IMO.

I don't run it for performance gains, I choose to run it for consistency, cleanliness, engine protection and of course the smell ?

Edited by BDubb106

Tried VPR once and it did ok. I'm not sure if my second can was a bad batch, or maybe it was the crazy heat here in the South, but the bike would lean pop once it got hot, go down on power, and generally run awful. I didn't experience this with the first can. I even tried alternating couplers to see if it was a mapping/oxygenation issue, but no luck.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it was the fuel boiling or a bad batch, but I went back to 93 octane Shell V Power and she's been running great ever since. I got a lot more bang for the buck there. I just wish it smelled as good!

You want to run as low an octane as you can without detonation. You can run pump gas up to 13.5:1 on a 450. If you want power the only way to get it is with oxygenated fuel. If you want consistency then shoot for something that is going to be readily available so youre not switching all the time. Nothing over 100 octane, preferably as close to 93 as you can

• Like 1

Vp T4. It was over 100 at the track so I think it was running a little lean. It wasn't popping bad only a few times. But the starting was hit or miss. It would fire first kick or sometime would take a few kicks. Mapping wise I just have the preloaded map from the Pim 2.

What year is your bike? Ill find a link for you. I have it bookmarked on my computer so I know how to find them. 

EDIT:  NVM the link no longer works... give them a call or shoot them an email and let them know what mods you have. They will send you the map you are looking for.

Edited by BDubb106