290 kit . . . not impressed . . .

So I purchased http://www.ebay.com/itm/220379001052?item=220379001052&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:US:3160&vxp=mtr and had it professionally installed.  The mechanic also took out the stage I hotcams I had in there. He insisted that the stock would work better for offroad.

I had one ride on loose and dusty terrain and was kinda disappointed with the power, I hardly noticed a difference.

I have the stock front sprocket size and a 48 rear tooth. Also run a megabomb with an fmf q with spark arrestor.

Maybe I just need more time on the bike?

The mechanic was skeptical of the cylinder because it "was made in Taiwan" but I had him install anyway.

Any input?

Edited by INJURY_69

As SUnruh says without being ported they have a lot of bottom to mid but dont rev out,

I had the head flowed and jetted it and it is very strong, and it revs out almost as much as the stock 250f

I have the 290 on my 02 wr with the stage 1 exhaust cam stock intake.  its a tractor down low and trough the mid. It chugs up the hills like crazy. I dig mine! 

Made in Taiwan isn't such a bad thing...

I just got a hot rods rebuild kit in for my YZF project.. You know.. the hot rods kit is supposedly better than the Wiseco crank kit by many reports... well guess what? says made in Taiwan right on the box. I would put Taiwanese stuff up against Chinese made stuff any day. Because of two words.. "QUALITY CONTROL". the stuff Taiwan just has more of it and tends to be much better USUALLY.

As far as the rev out and power issues. Dry slick and dusty isn't not the best platform to test something. basically you are trying to test something out with next to no traction.. not the best format.

I have heard that you can bring a lot of the rev back by installing a stage 2 exhaust cam.. then you have the best of both worlds...

Seems very odd that the mechanic changed out your cams to stock, I had an Athena 290 kit with hotcams on my 08 YZ250f and definitely could notice the difference

Update: Two rides in prime conditions but at a different altitude so jetting was a bit off. Bike is almost explosive off the bottom end with more torque. Slightly more vibration and definately goes through gas faster. Other than that I noticed a lot missing off the top.  I have a 50% off coupon for a hot cam Im gonna try a stage II ex and put back the st I intake.

glad you got to try it out with better traction available.. got to be able to hook up to really gage it...

As to the power delivery.. It is my understanding that the stage one cams from hotcams give you more power in the low to mid, where the stage 2s move the power mid to upper rpm.. (I am not sure on this.. but thought I remember reading that somewhere).

So what I gather is a lot of guys go with a stage two on the exhaust, to bring back some of the rev that the bigger piston takes away. port work is also a benefit but will cost you more. You should go down on the main jet to the next lower size (from stock because of the larger vacuum the piston makes.) search these forums and you will find it the info on all that I have mentioned.

I would like to know where to find a wiseco kit for ONLY $20 more.. if I could, I would jump all over that. All the wiseco kits I have found have been in the $600+ range. But supposedly they don't have an issue with leaking head gaskets which the Magnum kit has been reported to do on occasion.. So I would be real curious to hear how yours holds up long term.. I am mulling which kit to get as we speak and still haven't decided if its worth the risk to go with the cheaper kit. in the end in might just be a price point decision... please keep us posted on how it holds up over time.. the  head gasket thing has me real curios.

post up some photos of your kit installed.. I would like to have a look at the quality of the jug if you could..?

holding up well. I did wish i put some hot cams in there instead of listening to the mechanic. He's the kinda guy who's like "you think you know more than mr yamaha himself?! stock all the way" Seems like a lot of shop owners (music ones too) are cocky.

Only issue is that I had the timing chain jump a tooth. I replaced it and the auto tentioner. Running strong after 100 hours with good compression (he did a leakdown test while putting in the new cam chain and tentioner)

• Like 2