Sign in to follow this  

XR650R Remove Kouba Lowering Link

2001 XR650R

Previous owner (very small man)  had installed a Kouba Lowering Link in the rear suspension and lowered the forks a couple inches in the triple clamp. I already raised the forks back up to factory height.

What is involved in removing the Kouba link and re-installing the stock link? Did plenty of searches but could not find removal info (only install)

PS, is the Kouba link worth leaving on the bike for street use? I am 6'3 225 and do not like short bikes....LOVED my XR650L for that...is there any advantage to leaving it on?

Removal should be the same as the installation seeing as how you are just swapping links. The only difference is that you will be reinstalling the factory links instead of the lowering links. I havent done this on a xr650r but i did put a kuba on my drz400, i didnt like it and went back to stock after a couple months. Unless there is something wierd about the 650r that i dont know about, you should be able to just support the bike properly and swap links.

The link only lowers bike 1 1/2 inch at most. Go back to stock and work the suspension to fit your weight. Usually the cockpit is small for your height with stock setup is it hard to stand some need risers on the bars some complain that their knees are cramped. I run stock link but reworked springs front and rear to fit my size and weight. The bike is a little tall but the cockpit fits like a glove also running RSW brace and Scotts damper. At 5'5" and 160 I run it like a raped ape ha ha.