Sign in to follow this  

Stock Chain Guide vs Aftermarket Case Saver

How well do the stock chain guides function as case savers?  Should I get an aftermarket case saver, or is that just replacing something that will function the same?

Obviously the two things have different names, but the "Case Saver" name might be a product of marketing.

Anyone have experience with a broken chain running the stock chain guide?

See picture of my stock chain guide.  It's on an '05 CRF250R.

Even with the biggest strongest aftermarket case saver you are still going to end up with broken cases where the weenie 6 mm bolts thread into the engine to secure this case saver.

Ok those are two different things.

The chain guide is on the bottom of your swing arm the case saver us pictures above.

Like said before depending on your chain break the chain guide bolts can and will break.

They do help against loose slap but aren't anything worth the million dollars in my opinion as your case can't hold the hard hit it takes when the chain hits it and breaks. They are good at holding mud and causing bs. But can be good in some cases. Never hurts to run one but still remember chain guide and case saver are different.

If the piece is guiding you chain then that's one loose ass chain.

• Like 1

MaxPower:

So you don't even bother running a case saver?  Have the tapped holes broken on you?

joey330:

See attached picture from RMATV OEM parts and schematics.  The part is called a chain guide.

Nobody really answered my original question:  Will the stock piece function the same as the billet aftermarket pieces?  Is aftermarket worth buying?

OEM Chain Guide.PNG

Depends on the billet one. Maybe if it came with a free toaster id buy it.

But it doesnt keep your chain on any better. 

Might add a little bling