Sign in to follow this  

2004 No start and other issues

Hey people, I bought a 04 crf205r awhile ago with a bad crank.  Tore it all down and installed a HotRods stroker crank and Wiseco piston.  Its all together now and have been struggling a little with no start, setting timing and so on.  I pulled the carb alst night and decided to crank engine over, I see bubbles coming out of the intake valves at the seats.....BAD news, valves have clearance etc.  Whats the best course of action, new valves seats and so on or can I get away with just valves?  If its seats etc I might as well start over with a new head and valves?  Opinions??

The only way to know for sure is to perform a leak down test. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I agree, the leaking is probably what is making it impossible to start as well....I will attempt to get a pic of the bubbles before I tear it all apart.....I talked to a machine shop today, they said bring it in and they would look at it. Tearing it down and thinking about it, found a new head for around $300.  Shop said that I might get away with just new valves.  He also said the Honda engines are very sensitive to dust.....more than others and that the Titanium valve are the first victim even before cylinder shows scoring....said he had a new 2014 engine in with 17 hrs on it and bad air filter matainance, valves were finished.  He also said Honda takes a bad wrap for bad valves but if you are extra vigilant on your air filters etc it will go a long way.

Edited by scootersbikes