Sign in to follow this  

CR125 rear shock. DIY revalve, need help.

Need some opinions on a shock shim stacks. The situation is next: I have an 07 CR125 that I use for MX only, but, as most of you guys know, suspension on this bike is not that plush if to say the least, especially if you are 67 kg (148 lbs) skinny guy like myself.

I'm pretty pleased by the forks, although it feels like it's riding a little bit high in the corners, but I plan to switch to Showa 47 mm TC in the nearest future, so my main concern for now is the rear shock, cause it feels like I am not able to push it through the stroke adequately. It works ok on a high speed rough straightaways, but not that good in the corners and low speed sections.

My current settings are: rebound 12-14 clicks out, LSC 10 out, HSC full out. Sag is 108 mm, can't remember free sag numbers now.

My question is, can I improve damping characteristics of the rear shock by removing some of the shims from the compression (or, if needed, rebound) stack? I don't have any OEM spare shims to use, but I do have shims from 04 KX125 shock, which I assume may fit into my KYB, just in case I need to substitute some of my shims with different ones.

If it is possible, then what shims do I need to remove? Not that I'm new to suspension rebuild, bu I've never done a revalve, so any information (if it's not secret :)) is much appreciated. Thanks.

You should try lsc at 16 first

Thanks for the advice mog. I'll try backing LSC out a bit, but will it help suspension's performance on square-edged bumps? It feels as if I'm too light to push through the compression stack, cause sag is within normal numbers, but I still get quite harsh ride, especially at low speeds and on square edge bumps.

Little bit off topic, but if I switch my KYB fork to 05 CRF250 Showa TC, will it be balanced front to rear (.45 springs in CRF fork according to Race Tech, but I can switch them to .43 ones from my CR250 and use .45's for freestyle)? I mean, are damping characteristics radically different in these two forks, will stock Showa damping be ok on 125? Also, I have to choose between two sets of forks - one is stock and other is modified, but there is no information about mods done to it. Should I stick with stock forks or modded ones?

Taking 6 clicks out can go from harsh to perfect ,0.43 in the showas Will be a bit stiff imo but it's worth a try

Tried 16 clicks of LSC today, worked really well, much less harshness in the turns and feels smoother in general. Not a factory suspension, but feels really, really good. Thanks mog. :thumbsup:

Now that the rear suspension is dialed in, I started feeling my forks deflecting quite hard on rough straightaways. I would have done it softer, but I'm afraid that it'll start bottoming out (compression is currently 14 out, rebound 10 out). I have an option of giving my fork+100$ and getting 2005 CRF250 Showa instead. Does it worth the money? Will stock Showa TC feel much better? Would like to hear experienced people's opinion, as I have to make decision in the next few days.

Edited by sTAb66

Yes a good tc will improve the cr125