Sign in to follow this  

Adding Extra LED Lights

Just wondering what the limit is on the headlight to wire in some extra LED. I am going to buy an LED headlight bulb that is only 3W so I can have max power for LED. Right now on bike I have taillight, blinkers, headlight and Vapor. The lights on my bike are already LED. I am thinking of adding about 60W of LED on the front. Will that be too much with what I got?

Cheers.

-M

01' Dr-Z400e

I have the Rigid Designs 10 watt LEDs and they outshine my 35 watt HID, still leaves me at 55 watts up front but I run the LEDs off a relay that is set to the high beams, they are the flood and not the spots and will blind oncoming drivers at night

along with the Edge tail light, I have plenty of extra power available

on my third stator and second rectifier in 20K miles though

Suzukis have always had bullet proof motors and lousy electrics

I look at my 85 GS550ES, that motor is bigger than a 'Busa motor but always had rectifier issues

sorry, a little off topic there

The 3w head light is suppose to e pointless because these lights outshine any expensive headlight 10 to 1.

Is the a max limit of watts you can run of the front end off the wiring harness?

I've got 1 18W led light bar, 2 10W led spots, and 2 9W led floods.

Too much? I don't think so but just looking for anyone with any knowledge.

Thanks all!

Thanks Motobob. I want to wire all lights to my high beams button so I can use them at night only. Did yours run all the time or very often? That's pretty brutal that you burnt through so many parts. How much that cost you to fix the and isn't the stator a pain in the butt to fix?

I used one of those auto parts store relays and used the battery to power the lights with the high beam circuit as the trigger so they only come on when the high beam is on

pretty simple setup

as far as the stator as stuff, well...I bought the lighter TrailTech flywheel at 15K and replaced the OEM stator with an ElectroSport stator (I bought my 85 GS550ES electrical parts from them before), that stator lasted 5K miles, I went online to EBay because I only had about $100 to spend and I was able to get a Caltric stator and rectifier for lke $95 shipped to my house, the Caltric looks exactly like the "high output" RaceTech stator I also bought but the RT molded rubber plug was too short so I got the Caltric and then 2 weeks later got a replacement from RT

as Erik had said before, my issues might be from the TT flywheel burning up the stators, I don't know

it takes longer to unbolt the case cover than to swap a stator but you should let the loctite dry on the bolts when you do it, I had some real discussions here on TT about that darn stator and other electrical issues

I now have all new parts, new Shorai battery, that rocks, stator and rectifier output at 14 volts, I am all happy now, hope I answered your question!

Edited by motobobintexas

I used one of those auto parts store relays and used the battery to power the lights with the high beam circuit as the trigger so they only come on when the high beam is on

pretty simple setup

as far as the stator as stuff, well...I bought the lighter TrailTech flywheel at 15K and replaced the OEM stator with an ElectroSport stator (I bought my 85 GS550ES electrical parts from them before), that stator lasted 5K miles, I went online to EBay because I only had about $100 to spend and I was able to get a Caltric stator and rectifier for lke $95 shipped to my house, the Caltric looks exactly like the "high output" RaceTech stator I also bought but the RT molded rubber plug was too short so I got the Caltric and then 2 weeks later got a replacement from RT

as Erik had said before, my issues might be from the TT flywheel burning up the stators, I don't know

it takes longer to unbolt the case cover than to swap a stator but you should let the loctite dry on the bolts when you do it, I had some real discussions here on TT about that darn stator and other electrical issues

I now have all new parts, new Shorai battery, that rocks, stator and rectifier output at 14 volts, I am all happy now, hope I answered your question!

LED's and HID use only draw a small current compared to halogen....

On High beam the set up I have above draws only 55w total....

• Like 1

LED's and HID use only draw a small current compared to halogen....

On High beam the set up I have above draws only 55w total....

Have ordered a 35w 6000k hid kit from eBay from the link pasted for 22 dollars. Hopefully it be ok. If it's not the best at lighting up the morning night I'll fit some LEDs like u have done Craig.

• Like 1

Have ordered a 35w 6000k hid kit from eBay from the link pasted for 22 dollars. Hopefully it be ok. If it's not the best at lighting up the morning night I'll fit some LEDs like u have done Craig.

In case they are required, here is a link for those 10w LED's mate.....http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310684110002?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Just wondering what the limit is on the headlight to wire in some extra LED. I am going to buy an LED headlight bulb that is only 3W so I can have max power for LED. Right now on bike I have taillight, blinkers, headlight and Vapor. The lights on my bike are already LED. I am thinking of adding about 60W of LED on the front. Will that be too much with what I got?

Cheers.

-M

01' Dr-Z400e

if you have changed all the signals and brake/tail lights to LED and the headlight to that 3w you mentioned, 60W of additional will be fine. 

60w of led light is.... a LOT of light

if you have changed all the signals and brake/tail lights to LED and the headlight to that 3w you mentioned, 60W of additional will be fine. 

60w of led light is.... a LOT of light

60w of quality led's should be about the same output as 300w halogen 

The stator can give up to 200w, but I would be careful to draw close to this continuous. A steady load of 150w is no prob. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for you advice. I will post up the links to the lights the I have ordered cause the price and output is bang on. Also I found the holy grail video about this topic on YouTube. I will post that up too. Lights should be here early next week.

One thing I'm curious about is the auto store relay. Is that converting Ac-Dc. That is the volts on those/ specification? Does it have four male ends on the back. Goal is to wire up to high beam switch as mentioned above.

I would be careful about messing with the headlight draw. Try to match standard set up.

55w is standard I think and it should be on all the time, only switch the headlight off for max charging ability if you are riding the type of terrain where you are at low revs allot and doing frequent re-starts of the engine (high starter motor usage).

If you suddenly free up 40 watts of power due to using efficient lighting then that's an extra 40 watts of heat that is going to be dumped back into the stator and turned to unwanted heat. This can kill stators more quickly.

• Like 1

I would be careful about messing with the headlight draw. Try to match standard set up.

55w is standard I think and it should be on all the time, only switch the headlight off for max charging ability if you are riding the type of terrain where you are at low revs allot and doing frequent re-starts of the engine (high starter motor usage).

If you suddenly free up 40 watts of power due to using efficient lighting then that's an extra 40 watts of heat that is going to be dumped back into the stator and turned to unwanted heat. This can kill stators more quickly.

Yes I wanted 55w as a ceiling draw.....I run the 2 led's as running lights and they act as low beam, which is only 20w constant draw...

If you can use less than the oem headlight , it's going to be a positive for your electrical circuit..