Sign in to follow this  

Craigslist Shenanigans

Take a look at this: http://houston.craigslist.org/sno/4464485117.html

That ad was posted 25 days ago. Now, take a look at this; http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4501617232.html   This ad was posted 2 days ago.

I previously called on the first ad and was told it was sold. If I had to guess, it was sold for a lot less than what the original ad was listing it for.

It appears that someone bought the bike, and put parts in it.. New parts? Used parts? Anybody's guess. Hard to imagine they could have fixed it properly and still be able to make a profit off of it. But, what do I know.

Does appear to be a different seller than the original poster. Please note in the original ad the motor is not even in the frame. Since Houston is a hot bed of stolen bikes, I wonder if the VIN number on the engine in the bike now matches the frame...

Since I constantly cruise C-list watching for fixxer-uppers I recognized the bike immediately.

Shenanigans was two weeks ago when a guy posts a ttr50 for sale asking 550 and in the post says negotiable. I strike a deal over the phone for 500 bucks and we agree to meet two days later. I call the night before to see what time and the guy tells me his wife said not to take anything less then 1k for it. I let the guy know that a dealer where we lived had a year old new model for 960 plus t&l. Needless to say I was pissed cause I told my son I was getting him a bike. So that weekend I met another guy and spent a little more to teach my son a lesson about following through if you give someone your word.

• Like 1

Shenanigans was two weeks ago when a guy posts a ttr50 for sale asking 550 and in the post says negotiable. I strike a deal over the phone for 500 bucks and we agree to meet two days later. I call the night before to see what time and the guy tells me his wife said not to take anything less then 1k for it. I let the guy know that a dealer where we lived had a year old new model for 960 plus t&l. Needless to say I was pissed cause I told my son I was getting him a bike. So that weekend I met another guy and spent a little more to teach my son a lesson about following through if you give someone your word.

Same thing happened to me when a guy put a cherry YSR up for 400$, odds are he get swamped with guys saying they wanted it and decided his price was way too low. 

Yeah its still for sale but now its upto $1500 with riding gear lmfao. I dont care what people ask but where im from if I agree on a deal my word means something. I know It wasnt a written contract but oh well lesson learned dont trust the big city.

It blows my mind how some people on CL think that they have a "gold mine". There's a local guy around here that has a crf450 with no engine. The dude wants $1500 for it. Whether it's a bike or a car. If it doesn't move under it's own power, junkyard price is all I will ever pay.

Craigslist is a pain in the a**. I have delt with good people and a lot of idiots. I had a bunch of DJ equipment I was trying to sell. You don't know how many phone calls I took of people who were interested. I would make time to meet them and they never showed up. After about the 6th time I just got pissed off and threw all the stuff away.

I actually do quite well both buying, and selling, on C-list. When it comes to buying things-you go see the item as soon as possible. You DO NOT set up a meeting for several days, or a week, later. Most people that advertise on C-list want it gone ASAP and when you can't meet them immediately, someone else will.. You snooze, you lose.

I also always bring cash. Many times I have shown up to purchase an item and there is someone else there.. The other party did not bring enough cash hoping to negotiate a better deal. I pull out a wad of cash and the item is mine. Who goes to someone's house to look at an item and they don't have the cash (all the cash) to buy it? I get that you want a better deal but don't get upset when someone else is there with more cash than you and buys the item out from under you.

I also sell quite a bit on C-list. I love listing an item and then people call and offer you half of what you have it listed for without even coming to look at it first. Those calls go like this:

Caller: Yo, you still got XYZ item for sale?

Me:      Yes.

Caller: Would you take $XXX (half of what it's listed for)?

Me:   **Hangs up phone**

The guy in front of me with a wad of cash in front of my face is the serious buyer. Everybody else is just some loser on the phone wasting my time.

• Like 1

I actually do quite well both buying, and selling, on C-list. When it comes to buying things-you go see the item as soon as possible. You DO NOT set up a meeting for several days, or a week, later. Most people that advertise on C-list want it gone ASAP and when you can't meet them immediately, someone else will.. You snooze, you lose.

I also always bring cash. Many times I have shown up to purchase an item and there is someone else there.. The other party did not bring enough cash hoping to negotiate a better deal. I pull out a wad of cash and the item is mine. Who goes to someone's house to look at an item and they don't have the cash (all the cash) to buy it? I get that you want a better deal but don't get upset when someone else is there with more cash than you and buys the item out from under you.

I also sell quite a bit on C-list. I love listing an item and then people call and offer you half of what you have it listed for without even coming to look at it first. Those calls go like this:

Caller: Yo, you still got XYZ item for sale?

Me: Yes.

Caller: Would you take $XXX (half of what it's listed for)?

Me: **Hangs up phone**

The guy in front of me with a wad of cash in front of my face is the serious buyer. Everybody else is just some loser on the phone wasting my time.

I agree with everything you said but my deal was made on wednsday and delayed until saturday due to the sellers work schedule and im with you on who doesnt bring cash to purchase a item.

I have done deals and held items for people and actually had a guy offer me more on a motorhome I was selling but I didnt except because I already made a verbal agreement with the lady who purchased it.

I guess my life doesnt revolve around greed like some of the sellers and I believe in karma.

• Like 2

I agree with everything you said but my deal was made on wednsday and delayed until saturday due to the sellers work schedule and im with you on who doesnt bring cash to purchase a item.

I have done deals and held items for people and actually had a guy offer me more on a motorhome I was selling but I didnt except because I already made a verbal agreement with the lady who purchased it.

I guess my life doesnt revolve around greed like some of the sellers and I believe in karma.

Im the same way, if i accept an offer for 1k, then a couple hours later i get an offer for 1500, i don't cancel the meeting with the guy for 1k. If there's anything i hate it's greedy people.. i would rather sell any of my vehicles drastically underpriced to someone that i know will take care of it and appreciate it. Then to some crazy ghetto a-hole giving me more than i ask for to wheelie my mint bike down the street.

Unless its my civic..... i would love if some guy from a town with bad rep offered me top dollar for my civic, I'd pass that hunk of junk off to one of them so quick. Speaking of, i got a 99 ek w/d16y7 mounted to a 5 speed. 2300 drive it home

Honor and integrity, some posses it, some do not. I sold a truck several years back, evidently far too cheap (coulda sold 12 in an hour). I stood by my price even after I realized it was too low. I had this jackass come by, explaining why I should take his low-ball offer, even after I told him the next guy in line was on his way, a third party wanted to buy it sight unseen and I'd had over 10 calls within an hour of placing the add.

Over the years I've dealt with all kinds buying and selling stuff. I really dread it... Come to think of it, it's not unlike the customers I deal with.

• Like 1