Sign in to follow this  

new drzsm rider.. going for broke

Hey just got my 2011 sm a couple weeks ago.. I'm not too sure what got me back on the drz band wagon, but I saw the bike and got it for a good price. Now I'm hooked.. I've gotta say the drz is a pretty good little ride. Currently in stock format and used as my daily commuter. This bike really gets my wheels turning with all the aftermarket available. I've been trying to argue with my hopeless self about waiting on doing some mods and just enjoying the ride for a while and getting more confident on it. the last couple weeks went off without a hitch, I put a bunch of miles on the barely broken in machine. Then just today I made an ugly cosmetic mistake which I'm still kicking myself about... Got to work this morning and parked the bike and then realized a small gob of what looked like grease on my rad shroud.. Instinctively I wiped it up but it took the plastic finish with it!!.. Of course I couldn't leave the plastic alone. I then tried cleaning the plastic only to really haze it up.. Then got the polish out to see what that would do.. By the end of the day that shroud was pretty much destroyed..... I even attempted polishing the shroud on a power wheel only to further spread damage. New bike and I went and screwed up the most visual item on the bike... :(

Just the excuse to blow more money at it today. So I just ordered the drc tail and upgraded board then also got new shrouds in white along with white side skirts to offset all the black.. I'm trying for a different look.. Since the decals on the tank won't be possible to remove, I just ordered a set of vinal cover up decals that fit the purpose to cover up the factory decals that they conveniently clear coat over on the tank...

Here's a pic of my bike. Ill be updating as my bike progresses. Ill also try to add descriptions on the installs of certain things. Ideas and tips are very welcome! I'm learning quite a bit poking around the forums.

20140525_124555.jpg

20140604_064359.jpg

Edited by 08rangerdan
  • Like 1

i dont know what the best stuff is but they do have polish for plastic, got to get the right stuff though, somthing like rubbing compound isnt going to cut it, no pun intended lol .. anyway, nice looking bike, im sure it will look good with the new plastics to ... i use honda spray cleaner/polish and a soft T on all mine to keep them slick and kindof protected without using a rub type wax .. its good stuff, works on everything, keeps corrosion down to ..

Edited by cowpie

i dont know what the best stuff is but they do have polish for plastic, got to get the right stuff though, somthing like rubbing compound isnt going to cut it, no pun intended lol .. anyway, nice looking bike, im sure it will look good with the new plastics to ... i use honda spray cleaner/polish and a soft T on all mine to keep them slick and kindof protected without using a rub type wax .. its good stuff, works on everything, keeps corrosion down to ..

I have a bit of experience with some harder plastic finishing. I also used non cutting polishes intended for plastic refinishing.. I really thought I had a solid hold of the growing situation. But this stuff is just too soft for a mechanical refinish .. I should have left it before I got too involved. A chemical refinishing is what really would have done good in that situation.. Learned my lesson the hard way, a real waste but I did really like the factory look. I wasn't over it just yet :/

Edited by 08rangerdan

Don't worry about scuffing up the plastics too much. Replacements are cheap! I know how it can be though when you have a nice new shiny bike. Congrats on the purchase, glad you're enjoying it!

Lots of possible upgrades but the one I would think of first is rounding the back of the shifter and adding case savers. Then start doing the loctite fixes. Here are the case savers on the TT store.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/ThumperTalk-DRZ-Case-Shields-Combo-Pack-p2006766599.html

Yea my next look-to-do will be involving those critical additions. I'm not riding it too hard atm. But those are definitely on my mind Edited by 08rangerdan

The plastics on the DRZ are crap, the worse parts on the bike. But UFO or Acerbis replacements are made of better plastic, you can also wax the plastic with Meguires Gold Class or Meguires Tech wax and they don't damage the plastic. They will protect the plastic at least.

Edited by berjo

I actually tried several different waxes I had around the house. I wasn't getting a very good response from any of it on plastic.. Maybe it was just too cold when I attempted, or there was a bit of oil on the surfaces of everything. but it would just bubble up and wouldn't stick around once you start moving around the product.

I don't like touching the surfaces any more then necessary now.

That only happens on factory plastic. Aftermarket is heaps better.

I actually tried several different waxes I had around the house. I wasn't getting a very good response from any of it on plastic.. Maybe it was just too cold when I attempted, or there was a bit of oil on the surfaces of everything. but it would just bubble up and wouldn't stick around once you start moving around the product.

I don't like touching the surfaces any more then necessary now.

It must have been something corrosive on your shroud, I have had all sort of mud and gunk on my plastics and they have always cleaned up nicely....

I was actually thinking a drip of brake fluid from the resi started the plastic damage. Resi is dry though, no leaks.. Definitely something corrosive got on that shroud though. I was hoping this bike wouldn't be a money pit right off the bat so I'm hoping this is the last time that happens.. Id like this new look to work out. Its gonna look so plain Jane without the decals.. I can't seem to find a simple tank and shroud decal to throw on the bike that was as nice as the oem. And I don't have much of a sense to organize individual decals in a tasteful sense.. haha

Like a hawk man. I'm ready to pounce on one. Only ones Ive seen to date are the barbed wire decal covers

Lets discuss handguards for a bit. I'm in a toss up between cost and function. Not do important

Atm but riding the bike into the colder months here I want some wind protection. If I can achieve other functions from them, even better! I know zeta makes the indicator covers which is nice. But I'm also looking for a mirror on them. I've seem some variations like the ones located here; http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=NexGen_00

^looks like a nice guard but limited hand cover..

I noticed some separate mirrors in the tt store that look like they bolt up to different styles of guards.. So thats another option.

What's going to be the best bang for the buck? Who runs what? What takes the most beating?

It's gonna get scuffed, marred, or dirty at some point anyway. Worry less, ride more!

The highway dirt bikes guards are really good and very strong. Their mirrors are nice but a bit on the small side

I personally got the Acerbis Handguards with the Zeta triple clamp mounts. Makes them much stronger and resistant to moving when the bike does down.

For mirrors I went with CRG round bar end mirrors mounted on the inboard part of the bar by the grips.

Bar end mirrors are out of the question for me. I will knock them off waaay too quickly lol. I was thinking about the under bar mirror idea but its just not my taste, I don't want the Inboard bar clutter.. I saw the highway dirtbike guards and was more or less sold on them. They also make the ultimate kit with replacement upper clamp.. From looking at that kit it may be necessary to relocate the speedo/trip or atleast offset it more into the cowel. Can anyone confirm?

Edited by 08rangerdan