Sign in to follow this  

New chain Clicking

I've recently installed a new 15t and 46t supersprox gears with a 520rk chain with a clip master link. I've adjust the chain slack with  out the rear shock and aligned the swing arm with the pivot bolt and front sprocket. I've set the slick to 15mm when everything is perfectly in line or the tightest the chain will ever be. Once riding it made a terrible clicking nose that sounds with rotation. I read up on this and some say it may be a tight link from installation and ride the bike for a few miles and the nose will disappear. I have since put on about 40 miles and while the nose went from a loud click, it changed to quiet click i can hear on the highway. I have inspected the chain and the master link does return to its original position and move freely. Any suggestions as to why its clicking or how to remedy it? thanks

Just bought a bike that had a new rk520 heavy duty street 750cc size chain, it ran real stiff and made noise and would chain snatch at low rpms on the road. Never bothered me offroad and I waited for it to free up some but just replaced it with a free'r running x ring to see if it made a difference. It did.  Not sure your having the same issue but you might just let it free up some with use? also check to see how it's going through the chain guide and if any stiff links are making it "clearance" the front sprocket cover?  Basically if you know everything is right, alignment clearance and slack, just ride.

I've recently installed a new 15t and 46t supersprox gears with a 520rk chain with a clip master link. I've adjust the chain slack with  out the rear shock and aligned the swing arm with the pivot bolt and front sprocket. I've set the slick to 15mm when everything is perfectly in line or the tightest the chain will ever be. Once riding it made a terrible clicking nose that sounds with rotation. I read up on this and some say it may be a tight link from installation and ride the bike for a few miles and the nose will disappear. I have since put on about 40 miles and while the nose went from a loud click, it changed to quiet click i can hear on the highway. I have inspected the chain and the master link does return to its original position and move freely. Any suggestions as to why its clicking or how to remedy it? thanks

It's clicking on the chain guide.

• Like 1

If the bike had a endless chain on previously, it could be the new joining link running through the chain guide.

I would suggest that 15mm of slack is not enough, 50mm is more what you should have, bit loose is more desirable than a bit tight. 

Edit, re read your post and it would seem that 15mm at the tight point is fine.

Edited by Black_DRZ
  • Like 1

if it's clicking on the chain guide it's usually the m link pins if it's a clip style.  The pins are wider than on a rivet link. If the guide is well worn you don't notice it as much but if the guide is still fresh and narrow it can click.

Thanks for the quick replies.  The bike has 14000 miles on it, and it seemed to have the stock chain. Their was no wear on both sprockets but the chain was shot. I did put silicon on the master link to retain the clip link. After riding it too and from school I have noticed the master link does rub, as the silicon over the master link was worn down. Hopefully over time it goes away, as the noise does seem to become more faint compared to when it was installed. Thanks for the help and peace of mind.

• Like 1

You think there is no wear on the sprockets , until you match the old sprocket with a new one .

If your chain is worn your sprockets will be too.

Mate..... :thumbsup: