Sign in to follow this  

With aluminum skid plate: keep plastic engine guards?

You can seal the gaps between the cases and guards with foam to keep the mud from packing in there. Same thing can be done with the skid plate gap and crankcase.

I installed my bash plate with them on but removed them later as it's easier to align the bash plate when there not on

Cool, thanks guys. I saw some pictures of E.Marquez's bike without them, got me thinking.

One thing I do notice is that the paint is missing from the threads on the inside of the bolt receivers, so I'm going to put in some stainless panhead bolts just to prevent rust and rocks in there.

• Like 1

i just bought a plastic pump cover off ebay to put on mine that never came with one, the paint is flaking off around that sacrificial washer on the drain or whatever that bolt is, and i wanted something to cover it and look better .. but i was wondering if its not too much trouble what the stock bolts look like for that cover and how long they are/do they have washers on them? .. i need to procure some from the hardware store and want them to look stock ..

i just bought a plastic pump cover off ebay to put on mine that never came with one, the paint is flaking off around that sacrificial washer on the drain or whatever that bolt is, and i wanted something to cover it and look better .. but i was wondering if its not too much trouble what the stock bolts look like for that cover and how long they are/do they have washers on them? .. i need to procure some from the hardware store and want them to look stock ..

They're 12mm bolts that look like they have a 'built-in' washer behind them. Similar to the bolts that hold the radiator onto the frame or hold the gas tank in place under the seat.

They're 12mm bolts that look like they have a 'built-in' washer behind them. Similar to the bolts that hold the radiator onto the frame or hold the gas tank in place under the seat.

thanks, i should be getting that tomorrow, i'll see what i can come up with at Ace ..

IMO hardware places don't often have that kind of stuff, but I typically switch out stuff I can't find to panhead allen bolts because pretty.

304-Stainless-Steel-Button-font-b-Head-b

I just used clear silicone sealant to close up the thread holes - no need to have the extra weight of bolts in there.

Plus silicone will not become seized and be a PITA to remove is 4 years time.