Sign in to follow this  

2007 crf250r wont start

I bought this bike off of a buddy of mine at the end of last summer and have not had time to look at at due to being away at school.  When I bought the bike he told me that it may need to be rebuilt because it would only start by catching it in gear.  However, when I took it for a test ride it bogged down on me and I have not been able to get it started since.  The bike does have compression and it is not locked up so I am just trying to figure out what is exactly wrong with it.  I am not the best with motors and could use some advice.  I noticed the bike had very little oil in it when I was looking at it the other day so I filled it up with some new oil.  I also cleaned out the air filter (which appeared to have never been cleaned before), cleaned out the carb and tried to start it again.  It would not kick but it was trying to start when I ran it down my driveway to catch it in gear.  Any ideas of what I need to do to get her running?

It could be lots of things but these bikes are very finicky about how you start them. If you haven't checked tha valves you should probably do that first. I owned two 07's and they both had to be started completely differently. The one I have now starts by choking it, giving it a twist on the throttle, then kick. Usually first try. The other one you had to sometimes drain the float bowl for some reason, and it liked two or three twists if the throttle. From what you posted though it sounds like a fuel issue. Did you drain the old gas? Try completely draining the tank and putting fresh gas in it and drain a little out of the bowl to make sure you have fresh gas all the way through. It will start once you figure out what it wants.

Yes Mike I did drain the old gas and filled it with fresh gas but I did not drain any out of the bowl