87 Honda XL600 - CEF 450x muffler install

I bought a CRF 450x muffler off eBay for my 87 XL600. I saw some posts on the forum saying this is a good way to go. My question is, how much modification will need to be done to the pipe to get fit? Has anyone done this install that can give me some advice? Thanks!

I've installed the 250X and 450X on 4 600s..Not that much work..Take it into a muffler shop and they'll fit it in no time..They will no doubt charge like wounded bulls..I finally bit the bullet and got my last one installed via a shop..No change out of a hundy..Took about ten minutes for them to do the job..It's at least a solid job now,,Previously I did the job and she was a bit mickey mouse..

Edited by Horri

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402785057.369195.jpg

I got the CRF 450x muffler today. Now I have to make it fit. ?. You can see what it looks like compared to the stock muffler and a vintage SuperTrapp that I'm running now.

My question is to whoever has done this before, when I take it to a muffler shop - should I expect them to bend the existing pipe or to cut it off and bend up a new one and then weld it back on?

Thanks!

The only one I had done by a muffler shop is on my current half breed XR600.. In the install of it he whacked the pipe that's on the CRF muffler off then  bent/formed a new piece of pipe and welded it on to the muffler..He also welded a nut on the pipe so you can use the original mount that's down around the bottom of the airbox/carb area..He may also need to weld a mount on so you can mount the actual fat muffler part to the frame ,,I doubt the CRF one will work but it may do..I'm using the mount that was on the CRF pipe but the XL may be slightly different there. You realize the 450 pipe will be fairly loud..If you want the quiet version you need the 250X muffler..

Yep..Take the bike in to the shop..I tried to do it half arsed by bending a hunk of wire as they do to line up angles and then taking just the pipe in to get them to weld the new piece of pipe to the muffler..I got my angle wrong and in the end just took the entire bike in and got them to do it ,,cost me trying to be a cheapskate or believing I could give them the angle and it'd be right..I learnt a lesson..Let them look at the bike and work out the angles and clearances for the sidecover/tyre etc..

The XLs in immaculate condition..almost looks brand new..I'm on a crap connection so won't look at the Harley..The XL will be quieter than a normal Harley with modded pipe/pipes so you'll be fine..