Sign in to follow this  

92 kx250 rehab, HELP

Ok, here we go on the rehab of the 92 kx 250 I got from a friend who neede $$ for medical bills. (cancer).  I really didn't need the bike, or really want it.  I have an 04 yz250 with a bunch of motor work, a yfz 450 I built and can't ride since having double knee surgery, and a '90 FXST Softail 80in making almost 100ft lbs of torque.

Got the bike torn down to the motor and radiators in the past hour.  Lots of worn stuff, nothing serious yet.  I do have a question for you guys in the know.  What is a Terry Cable tripple tree clamp?  I am pretty sure it isn't stock.  Do I want to keep it?

Stripping it down to the frame to paint.  anyone have a paint code for Kaw green?  Acrylic enamel will do me just fine.  Just kick up the hardner a bit.  Been there done that.

Polish or soda blast the swingarm??

Ideas are welcome.  Going back green like stock but not a number restoration, just get a dependable bike again.  HELP!!

DSCN0613.JPG

DSCN0614.JPG

Good choice to rebuild and help out your friend.

Neat that it has purple plastic for a 92 - 93.

Keep the triple clamps.  I think I have a similar set.  Do they have rods for steering stops?

• Like 1

Good choice to rebuild and help out your friend.

Neat that it has purple plastic for a 92 - 93.

Keep the triple clamps.  I think I have a similar set.  Do they have rods for steering stops?

nope, no rods.  Now I wonder what fork legs I have, that are leaking?

Forks look like 1990.  Measure the diameter of the clamp area.

Will do, stripping the frame right now, getting ducks in a row, trying to get a parts list together.  If I can save the seal, sometimes the local bearing and seal store can tell me the specs. or get the replacement.  Measurements tonight, thanks.

If the chrome leg is 41mm they are 1990 forks and you may as well swap them out, you can't even find springs for them. If you keep the forks just look on Ebay for seals. You can usually find a set of seals for $10 shipped, much less than a local bearing shop will charge, trust me.

If the forks are 43mm tubes then you have 91-95 forks. 91-93 had 43mm blue anno forks. 94-95 were gold/silver anno.  

Just looks like 1990 forks because they are missing the side bolt for the fork guard and they arent blue.

Edited by Jeekinz

sick!

Sick as in good or bad, help an old fart out here.

• Like 1

Ok, measured the forks at the clamp area.  Upper clamp area is 51.84, the lower clamp area is 56.58(mm).  I need to know what I have to get the right seals.  The left is really bad.  Naturally I will polish everything, it's a Harley thing.

Frame stripped, prime tomorrow, and start sanding.  Now to find a Kawasaki green paint code.  Maybe find something to match?  and we're off surfing the net>>>

thanks for all the input!

colorrite.com

just measure the diameter of the fork inner tubes.

Oops, sorry, that would make a difference.

Worked on final frame and sub frame prep to paint.  FYI. children should not be allowed to use spray paint.  Took the shock linkage apart, just to check, if all the needles fall out of the cage that is a bad thing?  Messages to some vendors on ebay to price me a whole frame bearing kit, wheels to all suspension and stem.  What a mess..........

If this posting is annoying, let me know.  Have had several wanting a play-by-play of the project progression.

Well, it's official, all the frame bearings are shot.  Wonderful...  Top end off to Ken O'Connor Racing tomorrow for him to work his magic.  Strip, plate, hone, cut the head.

Go the tree cleaned and polished, but forgot how to post pictures.  (Old fart).

Paint frame tomorrow if not raining.

Well, it's official, all the frame bearings are shot.  Wonderful...  Top end off to Ken O'Connor Racing tomorrow for him to work his magic.  Strip, plate, hone, cut the head.

Go the tree cleaned and polished, but forgot how to post pictures.  (Old fart).

Paint frame tomorrow if not raining.

Frame painted, CRAP is it bright!!!  Looks sharp.  Cylinder off to Ken today, all the bearings ordered, fork seals should be here next week too.  Priced fork oil at Honda, get this, $22.60 a quart!  forget that. I am going to try something. I have several gallons of 10 wt hydraulic fluid, so I will give it a shot.  MUCH  cheaper.  Will take more abuse than fork oil.  My systems work at 2600 psi so it should work in the forks?

You won't believe what I found in the top end.  Someone had 3 base gaskets on it and one on the head.  The head is milled down with no squish band, piston was making contact with the head or that is how it looked.  tan dome with a shiny ring just like the head, you figure...  guess I am head shopping on ebay.  really not liking this bike!!!!!

10 weight in cartridge forks??

Good luck on the search for a cylinder head.

found some 5 wt, might use 10 not sure yet.  I know that weight will effect the rebound speed and damping.

I found several heads, believe it or not.  Actually found a brand new one, too, for $150.  Bet they still have it too.

Waiting on parts, letting the frame cure in the sun good.  Will tear into forks this weekend if the seals show up.  What a bunch of polishing to do.  They are a mess!  Was thinking and reading...I wonder if I can replace the fork seals without total dis-assembly? guess I  am just getting lazy in my old age.

Total disassembly is not needed...Just remove the top cap and spring... drain the fluids properly and using quick slide actions. Pull the lower leg from the upper. These cartridge forks are very easy to service.

• Like 1

Total disassembly is not needed...Just remove the top cap and spring... drain the fluids properly and using quick slide actions. Pull the lower leg from the upper. These cartridge forks are very easy to service.

YEA!!!  I thought it might work that way.  Need to take off a snap ring first, but ya, that is what I have planned.

Ron Paul?  Maybe Rand Paul or Ted Cruise

Edited by mrjata