Sign in to follow this  

What bike reminds you of your glory days?

For me it's the CR 500, rode that thing into the ground when I was 18-20 years old, 2004-2006. Lotta good times on that bike.

So I bought a CR 500 AF from a guy in Cali, it'll be like a collectors item I keep forever! Can't wait to get it to Texas.

• Like 5

The bike I'm on!

Reminds me of when i was racing thumpers,when they weren't cool!

Similar to the yz400f or wr426 but starts with the push of a button, instead of finding the magic sequence!

• Like 2

The bike I'm on!

Reminds me of when i was racing thumpers,when they weren't cool!

Similar to the yz400f or wr426 but starts with the push of a button, instead of finding the magic sequence!

Nice bike! When I grow up (I'm 41 :) I'll gravitate towards more woods riding and get a big boy KTM!

• Like 3

Damn it LovingOffroadPain.... why'd you have to exclude me??? You can't have glory days if you were never good.

:lol:

once upon a time,

We were all greater in our own minds!

You are young enough to still believe it, and achieve it!

• Like 5

Damn it LovingOffroadPain.... why'd you have to exclude me??? You can't have glory days if you were never good.

:lol:

Haha that's right!  I'm better now than I ever was when I was 20 years old.. just a more solid, consistent rider.  And most importantly, smarter rider.

But the days on the CR 500 are nostalgic to me.  I have some awesome memories with friends, camping trips, racing, blitzing across the desert valleys at 80 MPH and the front wheel just mowing over everything!!  Whoops, chuck holes, studder bumps, bushes, rocks--keep it pinned baby because if I let off, I'll lose it!!

• Like 1

Haha that's right!  I'm better now than I ever was when I was 20 years old.. just a more solid, consistent rider.  And most importantly, smarter rider.

But the days on the CR 500 are nostalgic to me.  I have some awesome memories with friends, camping trips, racing, blitzing across the desert valleys at 80 MPH and the front wheel just mowing over everything!!  Whoops, chuck holes, studder bumps, bushes, rocks--keep it pinned baby because if I let off, I'll lose it!!

That could potentially hurt a lot.

Open riding isn't my most favourite, but its good to have a blast every now and then.

• Like 1

That could potentially hurt a lot.

Open riding isn't my most favourite, but its good to have a blast every now and then.

Let me tell ya.. the first time I really started riding fast in the open desert valleys was in 2004, on my birthday ride.  My uncle and I got the suspension dialed in on the CR 500, and I got on top of the fast stuff.  He was paralleling me on a fire road, and had to keep his CR 500 pinned to maintain the pace I rode in the whoop and chop.

But riding that fast would be impossible without the suspension work done by a pro.  After this day, I started really loving the open stuff because I was getting good at it.

One year later on my birthday ride in 2005, I crashed wide open.  Believe me when I say, I slowed down in the open stuff!  But I still enjoy it.  In fact when the trails get fast, I tend to leave my enduro buddies in the dust  :ride:

• Like 1

Let me tell ya.. the first time I really started riding fast in the open desert valleys was in 2004, on my birthday ride.  My uncle and I got the suspension dialed in on the CR 500, and I got on top of the fast stuff.  He was paralleling me on a fire road, and had to keep his CR 500 pinned to maintain the pace I rode in the whoop and chop.

But riding that fast would be impossible without the suspension work done by a pro.  After this day, I started really loving the open stuff because I was getting good at it.

One year later on my birthday ride in 2005, I crashed wide open.  Believe me when I say, I slowed down in the open stuff!  But I still enjoy it.  In fact when the trails get fast, I tend to leave my enduro buddies in the dust  :ride:

I was happy to see 150 km/h just a couple of times.

I really don't care that I lost some top end lol.

• Like 1

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401984448.751189.jpg

1976 ossa 250

I never owned a bike when I was younger, but I remember my dad throwing me on this one, knocking it in gear, and letting me do loops in the field. I'm fairly certain he was drunk.

I mentioned this in another thread, but he had an Ossa jersey that he wore inside out. I wish I had this bike now

• Like 4

For me it was last year I had a WR500 two stroke.. Super fast it was a beast. I like my 04 CR250R better though.

• Like 2

not many can experience the rush of a 500 on an open desert,the level of concentration, the fluidity (Ryhtem) you have to ride at, the challenge of reading the terrain, picking the line at 90+, it is almost ZEN like. The willingness to hold it open, when your brain says otherwise, I am so amazed at watching the pros do it today, RIP Caselli. So smooth,calculated. A true master. When I want to feel at piece in my life, I close my eyes and recall those moments I have experienced it.
  • Like 3

I would have to go with my '92 KDX250. I didn't get into motocross until I moved to Florida in 2002, my glory days were all off road through the '80s and '90s up in the N GA mountains. My KDX250 was heavily modified with suspension set up for me, taller seat, low-to-mid porting, etc., and I used to look for the steepest gnarliest stuff I could find to play in and climb. I used to piss my group of riding buddies off with some of the things I could negotiate and climb, half the time nobody else in the group would even try to follow me. When properly set up, the '91-'94 KDX 250 was definitely one of the most under-rated and under-appreciated bikes out there.

• Like 2

Rode a Suzuki TM400 in the early 70's

One ride and never forgot it

That has to be the only open-class two-stroke I've ever ridden that had absolutely not one iota of low-end.

Preteens rm80. Teens into 20s-early 30s a couple kx 125's.    

1996 CR250R - reminds me of the days when I was younger and dumber :goofy:  Had some good times on that bike...

1996HondaCR250r_zps5fbe0184.jpg