Sign in to follow this  

Throttle Arm Pump

Went to the track for the first time in 10 years last weekend. Was able to make it a quarter lap each time before I had terrible arm pump in my throttle arm. I managed to slug one whole lap without jumping anything just to push myself. I would have certainly crashed if I would have tried the pump was so severe. 

Wondering if any of you have experienced this on your crf450.

Things I am going to try. 

Pro grip pillow grips. - hear they are larger and may reduce required grip effort

New Throttle cables. - bought the bike used. 2005. Not sure what condition they are in. Mostly for peice of mind.

Remember how to grip with legs. - I am out of shape and just need to work on this anyways

Things I would like to try. 

Aftermarket throttle tube?

Should I try a G2 quick turn and has any one ever used the jimmy twister?

http://www.g2ergo.com/product-category/dirt-bikes/g2-throttles/

Pro Taper bars vs stock honda renthals.

I would love any other recommendations. I know a lot of it has to be with me being horribly out of shape but when I used to ride I remember arm pump equal in both arms not just the throttle arm.

The main cause of armpump is holding on too tight. Following are some more things to consider. 

-         The most important single thing to keep from having armpump is to do a lot of quality practicing on the bike.  Like 3 or 4 days per week and racing on the weekends.  Or at least as much riding as you possibly can.

-         Next is riding and racing with a smooth riding style, flowing with the bike, working with the bike and not riding tight and fighting the bike.

-         Riders who are having arm pump problems should do more cardio and less lifting of weights.

-         Don’t do you’re forearm exercises too hard.  You don’t want to make the muscles too tight.  Just give them a moderate workout.  Maybe you’re doing them too hard.

-         A lot of stretching and massage of the forearms is also good.

-         A relaxed mind free of anxiety, stress and tension is also very helpful.  Have fun with it and relax as much as possible.

-         Ride with a low center of gravity.  Use your legs to hold onto the bike as much as possible and relax your arms and hands as much as possible.  A lot of riding time allows you to be able to do this.

-         Make sure you are using all the proper techniques.

Give it sometime.  I hope this helps.  

Edited by Gary_Semics
  • Like 1

Keep your head up, know the track and think one step ahead. You'll be a lot more relaxed.

• Like 1

The first thing is to relax. I read on here a good workout for preventing arm pump is to get a 1" dowel about two feet long, tie a rope around the center and attach a weight to the other end of the rope. Hold it out in front of you and twist it up and down like you are holding onto your bars.

• Like 1

Taking a couple ibuprofin before a day at the track helps me.

I went back out on sun. Made it a full lap without having to pull off. This was after  I changed my throttle cables and installed some pillow grips.

I think It's a lot of mental and lack of confidence. 

I also ate 3 bananas. Might have helped. 

start crushin the ole fore arms too, if you don't hit the gym you can use a round dowell rod and tie some string/weight to it then roll it up and down with your arms held out...get ready for the burn....do it till you can't hold on anymore, if you find it too easy add more weight...

or just buy this

http://www.amazon.com/GoFit-GF-WFB-Wrist-Forearm-Blaster/dp/B0007W2FJA/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1G7H58KSZSCPQNC4K04C

Seat time, you said it yourself "haven't been to the track in ten years". All the new stuff is not going to accumulate your forearms to mx style riding but seat time will.

Rolling your bars back toward you in the clamps may help a bit also. Beta lanolin  helps with lactic acid build up and the IB profin comment above is good too.

The first thing is to relax. I read on here a good workout for preventing arm pump is to get a 1" dowel about two feet long, tie a rope around the center and attach a weight to the other end of the rope. Hold it out in front of you and twist it up and down like you are holding onto your bars.

I made one of those. Its a good fore arm work out.