Sign in to follow this  

Bash plate Causing a knocking issue? + MCCT

So i bought my 2005 DRZ400E with SM wheels/gearing etc and it had an aluminium Bash Plate installed and ive noticed that its generating a knock. and yes before all you guys go "oh thats a problem with your engine" its not as i have removed the bash plate and the knocking has stopped. what im wondering is whether it is normal for this to create more noise then usuall or whether theres a problem with the mounts? if so what would you recommend to solve this issue?

Also an unrelated Issue, for the manual cam chain tensioner is it a very simple and usefull install? as i have noticed a slight noise from the cam chain.

I have the tonn's thick plate on mine and it sounds like I am hitting a trash can lid with a rubber hammer. The only thing you can do is put foam rubber between the plate and case but I have doubts it will help much. The mx racers use the foam rubber to keep the mud from loading up in that space and adding weight.

The bmw 1150 gs uses a double skid plate with rubber mounts in between. Electric motor anti vibration feet might be what you are looking for infact I may use that mod mine for the same reason! Good luck with your project!

Fwiw the tonn's thick plate rings like a bell when it's hit with a rock kicked up by the front tire.

• Like 1